Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day trip ideas please.

Would like to ride about 20 miles, loops are always better IMO, but would like to ride the best of the best. Tech is good, lot's of hike a bike is not.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
Holy sh!t Nate, that's a major task. The White Mountain National Forest is almost 800,000 acres and there's a ton of riding in there, not to mention public and private lands (where a lot of the goods are found) outside the WMNF .

I have hit the Franconia area a couple times this spring and I am blown away by the quantity and quality of singletrack there. Some may wonder why I feel KT is over-hyped (nice signs and map, though); one ride in this area and you should understand. Littleton and Plymouth both offer tons of amazing riding, Littleton Bike & Fitness and Rhino Bikes are the places for ride info. I owe it to myself to explore these areas more. And I will, dammit!

Here in North Conway, Red Jersey Cyclery is probably the best shop for beta. There are a couple of very good maps (Rob Brook area of the Kanc, and Conway area map) that will get you around. Sometimes the best stuff is not on the map but people often find it anyway. I could not, and would not, attempt to post such info on the web. For one, there are few signs and descriptions would be very difficult at best. Two, some of these trails are on private property and while the owners tolerate us they would not tolerate us promoting public use of their lands.

A ride I can recommend in this neck of the woods is climbing the Red Tail Trail (shuttle if you're a flatlander and can't deal with a dose of climbing humility), then descend the Black Cap Connector (Gnar with a capital G). Decending RT is also a good option, both are very long descents. Connect with the Sidehill trail from the intersection with Middle Mountain Trail, follow it to the powerlines (multiple options), then back through Sticks & Stones and the Pudding Pond Loop. All this is on the Conway area map.

I would offer a tour but that's on hold for the moment.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob, I knew you would pull through! Being in Concord, I should really get Plymouth on lock down, only about 40 minutes drive for me.

The Conway Loop ending with some pudding is right up my alley, I think!

Thanks again.

Nate

·
Registered
652 Posts
Loging

radair said:
Fox Park and the Gyroscope in Plymouth are really good. Rhino can point you in the right direction.
Plymouth might be out for a while.
Unfortunatly Gyroscope is going to be about the only good thing left after the major loging operation that is going on near fox park is done. We have permision to re-route trails in some sections but still do not know about others as it is mainly private land. It is selective cutting; however when they run the skidder right down the trail it sort of wrecks it forever, at the moment I am having a hard time finding trails in town that dont have paint on the trees which are scheduled to be cut. So it will be a major trail reconstruction project after this operation is done... if we get permission from all the landowers that is. Major Bummer. I can hear the freaking chain saws as I am typing this message.:(

Anyway I would try Campton off of rt. 49 on the way to Waterville, amazing tech singletrack and about another 15 min.s north of Plymouth. Stop into Rhino and they can give you the beta or shoot me a PM.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dates TBD. Can you guys bag out during the week, or has to be a weekend?

I'm guessing when Rob said "Gnar with a capital G", you guys got itchy for some Big Mtn riding.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
snowdrifter said:
Dates TBD. Can you guys bag out during the week, or has to be a weekend?

I'm guessing when Rob said "Gnar with a capital G", you guys got itchy for some Big Mtn riding.
I can get out mid-week with enough notice. That would actualy be preferable to me. I have something planned for almost every weekend this summer.

Actually I prefer GNAR over just Gnar :D

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
radair said:
...A ride I can recommend ...............
.......... All this is on the Conway area map.

I would offer a tour but that's on hold for the moment.
After rereading that I make it sound like you can't go wrong. You can. There are a couple of key turns that you don't want to get wrong.

Hook up with Jim kabob (trainnvain) or plan to get more beta before you head out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.