Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Pinetop tomorrow for some recreation with the family and some riding. I'm a White Mountain Trail System newbie and plan on riding Los Burros and Buena Vista areas on my own. Tomorrow is reserved for my son (10 years old) and myself to hit some easy riding but if any locals are interested in showing me around on Thurs or Friday (and maybe Sat.) send me a pm. I'd love to see the 'local' version of the trails.

I'm no expert level but can certainly hold my own, barring any puking from the altitude change, lol.

Shoot me a pm if interested. Thanks - Jamie

·
JBiker
32 Posts
No Can Do

Would normally be happy to show someone around, but unfortunately, the job takes me to the valley for the next few days. Drat.

Anyway, we got some rain in the area yesterday. Not enough to really cause a problem yet, but if we get another round or two of T-stroms, things could get ugly. Watch out for mud especially on the lower elevation trails. If you were up here for TOWM last year, you know what the warning is about . . .

Have fun!

·
JBiker
32 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention this, but the Apache-Sitgreaves Forest closed a bunch of areas effective Tuesday morning at 8:00 a.m.. The Buena Vista may be included, as their press released described an area, "east of highway 60 and south of Show Low to the reservation line" as being closed . Could not access their closure map on the web site, and did not ride over that way to check for closure markers yesterday. Check with the USFS for clarification before you head out into that area.

Los Burros is specifically listed as still being open.

·
Mommy's Little Monster
55 Posts
Hardly any hiking or biking in the Show Low/Pinetop area? Might just have to go further up the mountain to have some fun. Something tells me that I'm not the only one here in Phoenix with that idea though.

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fwiw....

Just got back from Pinetop.

Sitgreaves National Forest is currently closed west of FR184 (if I have that number correct). this takes out about 75% of the trail system.....but Los Burros, Country Club and a 3 or 4 others are still open. This is subject to change daily I suppose.

Los Burros was great. Elk, a black bear (which I did not see, a fellow biker did), and 16 miles of pure fun! I recommend it to all. (take it counterclockwise, that seems best)..

·
Mommy's Little Monster
55 Posts
Just got back myself. Wasn't really sure how to get to Los Burros and didn't have the right vehicle to get too far in the backwoods. Did the Country Club trail and some of the others back there. Suppose I should better better prepared next time with a good map. Gotta go back soon to take advantage of that perfect weather.

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
emayaz said:
Just got back myself. Wasn't really sure how to get to Los Burros and didn't have the right vehicle to get too far in the backwoods. Did the Country Club trail and some of the others back there. Suppose I should better better prepared next time with a good map. Gotta go back soon to take advantage of that perfect weather.
I did Country Club 2 different days, it was cool but you have got to hit Los Burros. Much longer, harder, more fun and scenic. It's really easy to find and you don't need a truck or anything. It's down a 6 mile forest road that is completely maintained. It's nothing more than a nice dirt road.

To get there:

Take the 260 east from Pinetop to Mcnary (this is the little, run down Apache community). Turn left at the sign that says "Vernon" or "To Vernon". This street also has a name like Cherry Lane or something similar but the 'Vernon' sign above that is the dead give-away. This road then goes thru a bunch of down and out looking houses then enters Sitgreaves National forest after about a mile or so. You continue on this dirt road for about 6 or 7 miles until you see the Los Burros campground sign on the right hand side of the road. You can't miss it. Park way at the end. Take the trail (there is only one trailhead at this point despite it being a loop) for a few minutes until you have a choice to go left or right (under the power lines). Go right, counter-clockwise. If you are like me and take pictures plan on several hours to complete this loop and to fart around on the trail.

I plan on going back next week or in 3 weeks.

·
Mommy's Little Monster
55 Posts
Ha.....I was trying to get to the trailhead by going through the Pinetop Country Club route. That'll teach me. The folks at the bike shop in Show Low said that Los Burros was the trail to do. Suppose next time I'll take better notes on how to get there. The map at the Country Club trailhead said it met up with Los Burros, but the trail just kept going and going.....mostly uphill. Then I threw in the towel as the weather started to change.

Must make plans to hit it again soon.

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
emayaz said:
Ha.....I was trying to get to the trailhead by going through the Pinetop Country Club route. That'll teach me. The folks at the bike shop in Show Low said that Los Burros was the trail to do. Suppose next time I'll take better notes on how to get there. The map at the Country Club trailhead said it met up with Los Burros, but the trail just kept going and going.....mostly uphill. Then I threw in the towel as the weather started to change.

Must make plans to hit it again soon.
Ya, I saw that connector trail from CC, it said 7 miles to Los Burros or something. That's quite a trek uphill only to then tackle 14 or 16 miles of Los Burros :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.