Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Did a search and couldn't find out much.

I'm a XC guy (155lb) and Rim braker. Like to keep things failry light (do some racing).

White Industry hubs reasonable price, look pretty (for polished) and are light. I currently have a front hub with over 5000 miles on it (came with Superlight 2000) and still great.

Also looking at DT swiss 240s. New wheels would have DT 4.1 hoops w/ a 2 cross (DT comp i guess).

Are the White Industry Rear hubs very good?? whe comparaded to King, DT. I9 seem nice, but i want some thing a little more proven and a little less expensive.

Thanks

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
In my opinion, the DT 240s are nicer hubs than the White Industries. I never liked the fiddly bearing preload adjusters on my older WI hubs, and the last set I used had a new axle-end system that I didn't like any better. I also prefer the Star Ratchet engagement of the DT, it's easier to open up, clean and lube. Overall, they just feel more solid. Also, the WI hubs I have owned had smaller bearings than my 240s and older Hugi hubs. I am not sure about the newest WI hubs, I have not had a pair for several years.

Both, however, should be plenty durable for you. I never had any failures with either.

JMH

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
For a light "racer" wheelset, I'd look at Stans rims instead of the DT's. And also consider the 07' XTR's, much faster to engage than the 240's, cheaper, and only a tad bit heavier.

I like the DT products a lot, it's just that the OP mentioned "Light" but did not really give a budget. - I'd say if one had a bunch of loot burning a hole in his/her pocket it would be VERY hard to beat an Industry 9/Stans combo for an Ultra-Light wheelset for about the same price as 07' SLR's from Mavic.

- Gee, there's another good option. :D Really, there are SOOOOO many great options out there, it's hard to go "wrong" :)

Just my .02 bits

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks DMFT...Guess i should've mentioned cash....around $700. The I9's/stans looked great , but $900 (with no chance of any "sales") seemed a little steep.

Probably buy a new bike in 2 years...so these wheels would be extras....since i'm not sure if i'll go the Disc break route or not.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Endo -

Another thing to consider about the Rim Brake deal..... I have right now at my shop a guy in kinda a pickle.... Rim Brakes, frame in for warranty and the replacement is no longer available with posts...... BIG $$$$$$$ now for him to get back on the trail.

In the industry, it's getting harder and harder to find high-end Frames and even Parts for V's. Seriously think about going with Disc hubs to save yourself compatibility issues down the road.

Have fun with ALL the choices! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.