Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
same white ind quality...so all the pros pass over. plus it is better and easier then a flipity flopity hub.

the cons...
you never get 'perfect' chainline unless you use the DOS crank ring as well. really you need chainline to match the middle space.

you need to compensate for 1.5 links when you move the chain - not huge but...some frames will require a tensioner others brake adjustments.

don't have the measurement here, sorry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DOS crank

nogearshere said:
same white ind quality...so all the pros pass over. plus it is better and easier then a flipity flopity hub.

the cons...
you never get 'perfect' chainline unless you use the DOS crank ring as well. really you need chainline to match the middle space.

you need to compensate for 1.5 links when you move the chain - not huge but...some frames will require a tensioner others brake adjustments.

don't have the measurement here, sorry.
thanks for the reply, by the 'DOS' crank do you mean the double/double crank that white makes? or the eno crank set?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
he means the

eno crank that WI makes that is Dos (has 2 rings that are spaced perfectly to match the dos eno freewheel).

I have been riding the 16/18 dos eno on a 29er for a little over a month now. No cons to report at all. eno f-wheels are tops. the chainline?...well yeah technically its never right, but as pointed out previously, you line the front ring with the gap in the middle, or if your line is perfect now this will already be the case when you screw on the D-eno. if having your chainline off by about 3mm has any negative effects...i am not a good enough rider to realize them. i speculate that most SSers have a chain line that suffers from a mm or two anyway.

if you like the idea of turning a bigger gear to the trail then moving the chain over...fret no more and spin on on!

oh yeah, i am using v-brakes and track style rear wheel mounts (like horizontal drops)...I set the brakes on my salsa rims so they work under both 16 and 18 conditions....yeah the brake lever tension needs some adjusting because the faces of my rims are not parallel (brakes feel tighter with the 16 when the wheel is farther back), but turning 2 axle nuts and one barrel adjuster is a small price to pay for 2 bikes in one....but is it a SS? I dont care, i like it! but who here really wants to admitt that they do anything simply to conform to a group?

Ken

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
unit said:
eno crank that WI makes that is Dos (has 2 rings that are spaced perfectly to match the dos eno freewheel).

I have been riding the 16/18 dos eno on a 29er for a little over a month now. No cons to report at all. eno f-wheels are tops. the chainline?...well yeah technically its never right, but as pointed out previously, you line the front ring with the gap in the middle, or if your line is perfect now this will already be the case when you screw on the D-eno. if having your chainline off by about 3mm has any negative effects...i am not a good enough rider to realize them. i speculate that most SSers have a chain line that suffers from a mm or two anyway.

if you like the idea of turning a bigger gear to the trail then moving the chain over...fret no more and spin on on!

oh yeah, i am using v-brakes and track style rear wheel mounts (like horizontal drops)...I set the brakes on my salsa rims so they work under both 16 and 18 conditions....yeah the brake lever tension needs some adjusting because the faces of my rims are not parallel (brakes feel tighter with the 16 when the wheel is farther back), but turning 2 axle nuts and one barrel adjuster is a small price to pay for 2 bikes in one....but is it a SS? I dont care, i like it! but who here really wants to admitt that they do anything simply to conform to a group?

Ken
ya. What he said.

·
Registered
482 Posts
ENO isn't enough difference in gearing for me...

In setting up a 26" commuter (horizontal dropouts), I needed a bigger separation ibetween the two gears than the eno dos would give. so, i went with a cassette hub with surley cogs and spacers, and used my exisiting cranks with two unramped chainrings. i was able to create a cruising gear (42x16) and a climbing gear for a monster hill on my commute (36x22).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
ya but...

you could use a derailer, but I think you would have to adjust the high and low settings on it to change gears (i assume you would use this derailer as a tensioner only since the dos eno is not ramped). I could be wrong on that but it seems like the derailer would constantly be pulling your chain line if you didnt adjust it when you change gears.

not sure how the guys at inter bike did it.

Also the same thing cna be done with a cassette style hub and one or more cogs being installed (like Cygnus seems to have done...only he used a double up front too). I have seen it done on a chris king SS hub also.

ken

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
kepe in mind...

unit said:
you could use a derailer, but I think you would have to adjust the high and low settings on it to change gears (i assume you would use this derailer as a tensioner only since the dos eno is not ramped). I could be wrong on that but it seems like the derailer would constantly be pulling your chain line if you didnt adjust it when you change gears.

not sure how the guys at inter bike did it.

Also the same thing cna be done with a cassette style hub and one or more cogs being installed (like Cygnus seems to have done...only he used a double up front too). I have seen it done on a chris king SS hub also.

ken
Keep in mind that a lot of older bikes don't have ramped cogs, and if you know what you're doing, the shifting could be flawless. You don't really need ramped anything for proper shifting. Derailers can be set on friction mode to move it the way you want it...that's how old TDF riders and older roadies have done it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i originally used the dos eno on my voodoo with an eccentric hub as a 34x17/19 which i liked except the brake adjustment was tedious. i then ran a 34/36x17/19 which was sassy, i.e., nice to have the gearing option by just sliding the chain over. when i built my sass up, i went to the 34x17/19 again with the hoizantal drops and discs and it was seamless and chainline was not an issue (1.5mm here 1.5mm there). now i'm fixed, though vas deferens intact, and don't use 'em, but i loved the dos as an option, and as always, recommend white ind. products to everyone as you can't beat the quality! (unsolicited, i work for no one).

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
MAP said:
Anybody here use em yet? Likes, dislikes? Thanks!!
i just got one.

my comments so far:

1. looks bling.

2. my whipperman bmx chain rubs and makes popping noises on the 18t cog when i am freewheeling in the 16t cog regardless of how i tweak my chainline. although this hasnt caused anyproblems yet, it is extremely annoying. :(

3. pretty insensitive to slop and goo so far...as opposed to my ACS Claw freewheel that actually got so packed up it turned my bike into a fixie one day. :rolleyes:

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
chuffer said:
2. my whipperman bmx chain rubs and makes popping noises on the 18t cog when i am freewheeling in the 16t cog regardless of how i tweak my chainline. although this hasnt caused anyproblems yet, it is extremely annoying. :(
I could be incorrect but i would suggest trying a KMC (Z610HX is my pref). The Wipperman plates may be too thick to offer enough forgiveness. I have run the setup with the KMC, no noticeable sound or rubbing.

Anyway you slice it that annoying pop is friction and will (eventually) ruin both chain and freewheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts