Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
I believe there is no difference between front and rear besides the length of the brake line. Formula generally sells their rotors and adapters separately. It is really easy to shorten the lines on the K24s and the extra fittings are even included. If you are careful, you won't even need to bleed them.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
mtberfrombothell said:
Can the same lever (for the rear) works fine if I use it on the front? I mean it looks the same from the top as in from the bottom? Thanks.
yeah.... formula's levers are "flip-flop"...so no worries (actually a buddy of mine got a set of Oro Puros like that, really cheap rear brake and no fronts...so he just got 2 rears :D )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
two rears then

Thanks for the info. I will get two rears then as it comes with rotor and IS adapter already. I hope the adaptors will work fine for the front also. The white ($120 for the rear) is cheaper than the silver. Is the white K24 version older than the silver. I don't see the white K24 on most online stores. Also what is your opinion between K24 and the new Mono Mini. The new Mono Mini is the other I'm considering. Thanks.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
mtberfrombothell said:
Thanks for the info. I will get two rears then as it comes with rotor and IS adapter already. I hope the adaptors will work fine for the front also. The white ($120 for the rear) is cheaper than the silver. Is the white K24 version older than the silver. I don't see the white K24 on most online stores. Also what is your opinion between K24 and the new Mono Mini. The new Mono Mini is the other I'm considering. Thanks.
the white k24 must be an OEM version...the aftermarket one is silver (as U know)

you will need one adapter almost for certain, since the rear adapter when used on the front will require a 20mm bigger rotor.

is your fork IS or postmount? and what size rotors are you ordering?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rotor size

I just want to have 160 mm front and rear. The fork I have has IS tabs. I agree that it might be OEM, maybe that's why it is cheaper. I just like the white color so I might go for it as the cheapest set of Mono Mini I can find is $319 (front and rear). The white K24's will only set me around $240 for the set. I hope the front adaptor is cheap. Thanks.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
mtberfrombothell said:
I just want to have 160 mm front and rear. The fork I have has IS tabs. I agree that it might be OEM, maybe that's why it is cheaper. I just like the white color so I might go for it as the cheapest set of Mono Mini I can find is $319 (front and rear). The white K24's will only set me around $240 for the set. I hope the front adaptor is cheap. Thanks.
since your fork is IS and you want to use a 160 rotor up front, you will need a 160f/140r formula IS-to-PM adapter (the one that comes with the 160mm rear brake set is a 180f/160r).

but double check if the brakes include rotors (probably will, if OEM), since aftermarket Formula usually sells the brakeset (without adapters) and the adapter and rotor as a separate kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help

Thank you very much Crisillo for the help. This is the 2nd time you've helped me (first one is when I purchase my Hope Pro2 wheels from Chainreaction Cycles). One last question. Do I need to bleed the front if I cut the hose down? Or can I just cut it and crimp it back without bleeding. I was able to cut my previous Hope Mini without bleeding. Thanks.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
mtberfrombothell said:
Thank you very much Crisillo for the help. This is the 2nd time you've helped me (first one is when I purchase my Hope Pro2 wheels from Chainreaction Cycles). One last question. Do I need to bleed the front if I cut the hose down? Or can I just cut it and crimp it back without bleeding. I was able to cut my previous Hope Mini without bleeding. Thanks.
no problem...glad to help ;)

if you are careful while cutting and don't drop much oil, you shouldn't need to rebleed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
The hose on the kit you are referencing is 1200 mm long. Is that long enough for most bikes rear applications? I have a medium 575 and have been debating this purchase for a while, but I am afraid the cost is going to skyrocket if I have to replace the hoses and re-blead the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
The hose length will be fine...take some string to do a quick measurement of what ul need. I have a Medium Mojo and I had to trim a bunch off (wait, that was for the rear brake).

And re-bleading isn't hard...it's actually not a full bleed from what I'm told, because you aren't replacing the fluid, ur just pulling out air. I'm a tech tard and even I did it. The directions are pretty spot on, and all you're really doing is pulling out air from the lever end so that's the only syringe you'll need.

Some tips from my mistakes:
-Be sure to cut the tube with a sharp razor...I used a cable cutter and it kept crimping the hose (practice your cut above where u actually want to do it).
-And after re-attaching all the fittings, put the lever back on the handlebar to tighten the bolt...I didn't tighten enough when holding by hand and oil was leaking into the tube because as indicated by the tube swelling at the connection point.

I wish I had these white ones!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
creationrebel said:
The white ones were made for Rocky Mountain OEM this past year....
They certainly are not made for Rocky Mountain specifically, but are just an OEM variation. The french brand "Lapierre" for example has these on several of their bikes.
They sure look nice in white and having tested and owned a zillion brakes, the oro line (and now also the one) are my absolute favorites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i got mine

I finally got my white K24 set. These brakes look really lovely. I've only installed my rear so far as I'm still waiting for the banjo kit to arrive so I can trim the front hose. The rear hose is just enough but I would like to replace the hose to something longer. I have a question for anyone who has replaced the hose on their Oro brakes. When removing the banjo on the caliper do you remove the torx bolt also that sits on top of the banjo bolt? I believe this torx bolt is the one covering the bleed port. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
mtberfrombothell said:
I finally got my white K24 set. These brakes look really lovely. I've only installed my rear so far as I'm still waiting for the banjo kit to arrive so I can trim the front hose. The rear hose is just enough but I would like to replace the hose to something longer. I have a question for anyone who has replaced the hose on their Oro brakes. When removing the banjo on the caliper do you remove the torx bolt also that sits on top of the banjo bolt? I believe this torx bolt is the one covering the bleed port. Thanks.
Congratulations with your nice aquisition. I am pretty sure you will be happy with the brakes!

I think you are talking about the small Torx screw that is located within the (hollow and threaded) main banjo bolt?
If so, you certainly do not have to remove the small Torx bolt, which indeed is the bleed port, only remove the main bolt. Removing the small Torx bolt will do nothing except risking you lose the small o-ring located at the end which ensures the seal.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much for the info. I'm gonna start changing the rear brake hose. I've installed the rear even if the hose is not that long and tried the brake. Man it is awesome. The feel is so much better than my Hope Mini or the previous Juicy 7 I have. I'll install the front today once I get my 160 mm adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Hi, I just made the same purchase. Mine did not come with any bleeder kit or extra pieces to trim down, so it looks like I have to order many extra parts. Also, the 1250mm is too short for the rear. It reaches, but it's so tight that you can't turn safely, and I have a medium Heckler.

So now I am looking at a whole new tube for the rear and trimming down the front tube, and also buying a 180mm front rotor. Will this mount work with a 180mm rotor up front? It seems like it will.

What's the cheapest way to trim down the front and make a whole new longer tube for the rear?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top