Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm thinking about ordering a suspension fork for my new Karate Monkey.

I'm a big guy (300lbs, permanent), so I am going to get a 20mm axle fork. The WB Magic 29 is the only 29er fork I can find with this feature, but the 20mm axle only comes on the 100mm travel version.

I am concerned about a few issues:

1.) The KM was designed around an 80mm fork. Would a 100mm fork make the KM just suck at long climbs?

2.) Would a 100mm fork, and its increased leverage, cause a frame failure at the 4" head tube? For a 300lb. rider?

3.) Would using a 100mm fork with a powerful hydraulic disk brake (Avid Juicy 7, 203mm rotor) cause a frame failure on the KM?

Thanks much!

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Good question

I have a WB magic 100 on my SS and was kinda wondering about using it on the monkey. It's also the only good 29er fork with V-brake bosses, which is what I like about it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was looking at suspension forks for my monkey too. Here's the conclusions I have come to.

As far as head tube angle, the Monkey is at 72deg with the rigid fork. Typically, you lose a degree with the switch from 80 to 100. This leaves you at ~71deg which should still be fine. When you take ~25% static sag into account, you're only getting about 15mm more ride height so it really shouldn't be a big deal even if you do notice the difference.

As far as the brakes go, this is usually more of an issue for the fork than the frame. If you're buying new, the new Monkey has the stronger gusseted head tube area which should be plenty strong. If the Magic is approved by WB for the big brakes, go for it.

As far as making the front too light on climbs, if this becomes a problem, use the Monkey Nuts. The short stays on the monkey combined with a fairly tall rider and the slightly raised front end could put your weight back over the rear wheel enough to make the front light on seated climbs. I would say staying away from a set-back seat post and using the Monkey Nuts should keep it as good as any other hard tail 29er in this regard.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think the Manitou Minute 29er is available with a through-axle. Not sure if it's available with all travels, but the fork is made in 80mm, 100mm, and 120mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.