Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I only want/need one rigid 29er, I have decided that I want to put a suspension fork on my One 9 for sure. Would love the Mav SC32 but like my wheelset so no go. Don't want the Reba...for no good reason, and really like the sound of the new WB forks.

Question: Based on this very short snippet I just read in my Mtn Biking Mag, it makes it sound like the "Magic" stuff works like Terralogic; is this correct? If so, I am definitely sold, as I love my F80X on my 26er single speed.

i.e.,

"...the IMV system prevents bobbing on hills and during sprints, but allows the fork to be fully active when hitting bumps."

"...the IMV system senses the oil pressure spike that occurs when your fork hits a bump. It holds the compression circuit open throughout the entire bump, then closes simultaneously with the rebound flow of oil at the end of the bump".

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Since I only want/need one rigid 29er, I have decided that I want to put a suspension fork on my One 9 for sure. Would love the Mav SC32 but like my wheelset so no go. Don't want the Reba...for no good reason, and really like the sound of the new WB forks.

Question: Based on this very short snippet I just read in my Mtn Biking Mag, it makes it sound like the "Magic" stuff works like Terralogic; is this correct? If so, I am definitely sold, as I love my F80X on my 26er single speed.

i.e.,

"...the IMV system prevents bobbing on hills and during sprints, but allows the fork to be fully active when hitting bumps."

"...the IMV system senses the oil pressure spike that occurs when your fork hits a bump. It holds the compression circuit open throughout the entire bump, then closes simultaneously with the rebound flow of oil at the end of the bump".
I've heard from riders with them that the F80X forks can pack up if you hit a long section of trail with lots of small bumps fast, like a downhill with lots of small roots. Have you ever had your F80X pack up on you? I hope the IMV doesn't do that.

Monte

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monte said:
I've heard from riders with them that the F80X forks can pack up if you hit a long section of trail with lots of small bumps fast, like a downhill with lots of small roots. Have you ever had your F80X pack up on you? I hope the IMV doesn't do that.

Monte
i have never had any issues with my F80X and have ridden it pretty hard. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have the threshold set pretty low which may help with the smaller stuff. Frankly, once open, it feels like my old Float, but even better. Perhaps it is because it is a 2005 fork and maybe the pre-2005 had more trouble? sort of like the pre-2005 Talas being crap??

in any event, the White Brothers sounds great....so far...

thanks

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i have never had any issues with my F80X and have ridden it pretty hard. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have the threshold set pretty low which may help with the smaller stuff. Frankly, once open, it feels like my old Float, but even better. Perhaps it is because it is a 2005 fork and maybe the pre-2005 had more trouble? sort of like the pre-2005 Talas being crap??

in any event, the White Brothers sounds great....so far...

thanks
Cool. The fork I was talking about was probably an '03 or '04, it was in Canmore in '04 at a gathering.

Monte

·
Registered
358 Posts
F80X Zero Compression Damping

The fatal flaw with the F80x is once a bump activates the travel the fork compresses with Zero Damping ....Just down they go...that is why they pack up. Unfortunately, though a good idea on paper the F80/100 X forks just have no refined ride for the money they charge. hopefully, the White Brothers compression circuit will be better. Better yet, I would love it if Push Industries would mod other forks fo 2006.

·
Pudgy Old Guy
536 Posts
Can anybody compare the new WB valve to Manitou's SPV?

I am really missing the way my last two Manitou forks worked (Skareb and Minute 2). I think they are far superior to the Reba. Just my personal opinion - I know there are a ton of Reba lovers on here and it is certainly a decent fork.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
Onetrack said:
The fatal flaw with the F80x is once a bump activates the travel the fork compresses with Zero Damping ....Just down they go...that is why they pack up. Unfortunately, though a good idea on paper the F80/100 X forks just have no refined ride for the money they charge. hopefully, the White Brothers compression circuit will be better. Better yet, I would love it if Push Industries would mod other forks fo 2006.
That makes no sense.

Excessive rebound is what causes forks to "pack up", because it can't extend fast enough to absorb the next bump entirely.

There may be something happening with these forks, but it isn't "packing".

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jayem said:
That makes no sense.

Excessive rebound is what causes forks to "pack up", because it can't extend fast enough to absorb the next bump entirely.

There may be something happening with these forks, but it isn't "packing".
thanks Jayem...that is what I was thinking. To attribute a fork "packing up" to some technology that just so happens to be on that fork is a stretch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.