Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
You could get 20 grams back by removing the stickers off the rims.

You might could get close to 1/4 lb. more by removing all those Moots stickers :D

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Evokes feelings of fjear......

·
The Dog.
959 Posts
I'm all about the pink and purple. In fact, I've been known to wear pink polka dot knee high socks. But those rims are just plan ugly on that otherwise gorgeous bike.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Enoch said:
You could get 20 grams back by removing the stickers off the rims.

You might could get close to 1/4 lb. more by removing all those Moots stickers :D
X2....and I prefer black or brown anodized wheels, but the white works with your setup. You could lose some weight with a 160mm front rotor too.. Isn't 185mm overkill with rigid?? Just need to get purple not pink bottle cages.

·
Category Winner
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dosboy said:
My buddy had a moots 29er, and for ti i couldnt believe how heavy the frame felt. I used to give him crap about his lead moots:) Why are MOOTS so much heavier than there other ti counterparts??
Let's see...

The Australian designed (but built in the US) bike cracked for a second time on a weld. Although the designer was willing to pay for the repair, the welder wouldn't stand behind their work. They claimed it was a design flaw... even though it cracked on the weld a second time on a pretty standard looking frame. They also did some shoddy work on the rear end that was never mentioned or addressed, so I moved on when I got a great offer from MOOTS. That designer has moved on to a more reputable builder for his future builds.

MOOTS ti heavy? Dunno. From what I understand most ti manufacturers use basically the same tubing (non-butted) in all their frames, although the country of origin of the ti may differ (U.S., Russia, China). I would only imagine that most standard double diamond ti frames are gonna and up weighing about the same. Smaller tubing could be used I guess, but the frame would definitely start to get flexy, not the kinda flexy your looking for with ti either.

I weighed it on my bathroom scale when I got it. It was right around the weight of my old ti frame (scale only accurate to .2 pounds). I was in a hurry to build it, so I didn't run to the shop to put it on a real scale.

So, in my own uneducated (in the world of frame fabrication) I would say I have no idea why you've felt MOOTS frames are heavier than their counterparts. I would think that most S-MED frames hit somewhere around the 3-3.5 lb mark WITHOUT things like EBB's, sliding drops, or other stuff on them. According to a post Walt did years ago when Paragon first came out with their drops he found that weighing all the parts specific to each build came out to a similar weight.

Anyways, someone can correct me if I'm wrong about any of the above.

Things I know for a fact:

My MOOTS weighs more than the average ti blinglespeed. That's due to my parts pick. I'd rather make it outta the woods or finish a race rather than use parts that might help me win or leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Things like:

8" front rotor (cuts down on arm fatigue on long descents)
2.35 Rampage (I like a big front tire)
Flow front rim (I like my volume to 11)
Steel 490 A-C fork (no carbon... yet?)
XTR pedals (as opposed to Crank Brothers)
Middleburn cranks with a THICK 1/8" ring
Crank Brothers ISIS BB with steel spindle
Hayes Stroker Trails (they work, and I know how to work on them)
Thomson stem (Who breaks a Thomson stem?)

I think that makes the difference between a 22lb single speed and a 18lb singlespeed more than the frame.

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if those 17 lb weight weenie wonders would survive an excursion to Farlow Gap...

Bike looks good man... though pink anodized rims would take it to the next level...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts