Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Vancouver - Whistler on United Airlines in about a month. Did anyone who flew United this summer have any issues with the bike box? The United website says $100 which is up from $80 last year but the weight limitation says 50 pounds.

Any thing over the maximum weight usually means an extra surcharge. :(

My bike & case weighs about 70 pound. I budgeted $200 roundtrip but would hate to pay additional amounts over that.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Sounds about right, one of my friends just flew out here for a bike trip and got hit for $200 (round trip) for the bike.

·
EXTREEEEEME KAYAKING!
106 Posts
I'm flying to whistler on thursday night and will have to pay to get it on the plane as well. So the answer is yes, they will let you bring it, but how much it will cost, im not so sure... I'll let you know when i get back how much they charged me.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's definitely cheaper to ship it, but then you have to wait for it to clear customs. I'm going to Whistler in August and I just got an OGIO monster bag. It's a bag made for flying with a tour golf bag. You still have to get a wheel bag for your wheels, but its not a bike bag. I was also alot cheaper than a bike bag 120 vs 300.

·
EXTREEEEEME KAYAKING!
106 Posts
JBinKC said:
Seems like it might be cheaper to fedex it.
not a good idea. I tried to ship my bike out to whistler last year, but it got stuck in customs. I then had to spend 1200 on a rental because of how long i was there for. My bike finally got cleared and made it back home about a month after being back. I would not ship if i were you.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
yikes. all I can say is we are totally stoked with westjet's service to Van. $40 for the bike, they say 60lbs max but they seem to be pretty lenient. They allow 2 carryons, 2 checked bags up to 60lbs. each, and the bike. Go over the weight limit and they only hit you for another $75.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
airwreck said:
yikes. all I can say is we are totally stoked with westjet's service to Van. $40 for the bike, they say 60lbs max but they seem to be pretty lenient. They allow 2 carryons, 2 checked bags up to 60lbs. each, and the bike. Go over the weight limit and they only hit you for another $75.
Yeah I was debating whether to pay and fly Westjet because it was so cheap or use my Aloha Airlines miles on United. I glad I decided to use the Aloha miles because the Aloha miles have zero value now :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Customs issue

lilswert11 said:
not a good idea. I tried to ship my bike out to whistler last year, but it got stuck in customs. I then had to spend 1200 on a rental because of how long i was there for. My bike finally got cleared and made it back home about a month after being back. I would not ship if i were you.
How many people have had this issue of waiting for their bikes to clear customs? How long before your trip did you ship your bike? We have normally flown with our bikes but for some reason we have decided to ship them.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$200 each way

Heads up on flying on United with a bike case. Shipping cost per website is $100 up to 50 lbs max. Another $100 for overweight fee over 50 lbs so the total is $200. This varies with the ticket agent knowing what the website says. I know people who had to pay the $200 and also others who paid less.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a trip up there about 2 weeks ago and shipped my bike. I called Canadian Border Services and got the proper info on the bike clearing customs, they said it was no problem, called FedEx and did the proper paperwork and they said it was no problem, well it gets to the border, and guess what, big problem, its going to cost $80 plus 5% tax plus 7% tax, supposedly you can get the taxes refunded after your get home, but I'm not believing that crap. I ended up having the bike rerouted to Seattle and luckily my buds were going through there and could pick it up. Otherwise I would have been SOL. Lesson learned, rent a bike or take it on the plane.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
seppe71 said:
How many people have had this issue of waiting for their bikes to clear customs? How long before your trip did you ship your bike? We have normally flown with our bikes but for some reason we have decided to ship them.
doesn't matter.....why take even the slightest chance of not having ur bike if it gets stuck in customs...hopefully it goes smooth for you

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
sticking it to the man!

I leave Friday evening. The big bag weighs in at 65lbs. the little bag at about 30lbs. us airways charges $65 for the first bag up to 70lbs and $25 for the second bag up to 50lbs. You have no idea how much crap I have crammed into those 2 bags. I managed to trim my large bottlerocket down to 38lbs with 2.5 DH tires for the sole purpose of airline fees.

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
Registered
925 Posts
hockey bag and a wheel box= free

I got lucky last year though. We had a new recruit checking our bags in. They still weighed the bags. Mine was 43 lbs for the hockey bag with the frame fork and clothes plus cardboard reinforcements and foam. The wheel box was way over sized but they didnt check. I think its just making it "look" like its not a bike is the key.. And when you weigh your bag, keep a corner off the scale and maybe lift the bag with your heel or toe a bit. My bag miraculously came to 36 lbs. Also when asked what was in the bag, I replied "bike parts"

Heading up in a week, I'm sure we can't get away from the extra bag fee.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow, my buddy and I both shipped our bikes via FedEx last year and did not have any problems. We had to fax our passports to the FedEx shipping agent in CAN, and explain to them what we're doing, but that's about it. One dude wanted to make sure we weren't bringing in US dirt on our bikes. Guess we coulda brought our own bomb materials or illegal drugs cuz homeboy just wanted to make sure there was no dirt/mud on the tires! Interesting...

Now after hearing some stories of peeps bikes getting stuck in customs, I think I'd pay the surcharges and just take it with me on the plane.

Oh, and for the guy who is considering getting the CAN tax refunded - read the fine print. I think it is only if you get taxed over $1200 or something like that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
United sucks

Alaska Air is $75 each way for a bike. No hastles... My Uzzi was in a plastic travel case (performance bike team case). Total weight was about 65lbs. I try to keep the bike box as light as possible. Tools and small parts go into the gear bag.

Sounds like United is an airline to avoid when traveling with bike.

BTW, two trips and no problem with the bike getting there and coming home. The bike box had very little damage.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.