Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1

Got here a little late but managed to get on the lift by 5:30.

Run 1
A little warm up on Crank it Up - Whistler DH - Monkey Hands - Heart of Darkness.
That got me blood moving a bit so..........

Run 2
One of my favs - Dirt Merchant - A- Line - GLC
Had my jump on and managed to hit all but 1 or 2 trannies on the run.

Run 3
All the way to the top. Criss crossed amonst No Joke - Freight Train - Original Sin - Duff Man - A Line (I think). Sooooooooooo fun. Holy crap.

Run 4
Mixtture of Joyride - Rock City - Lower Whistler DH - something else ?????
Whoa! Steeeeeeeeepness. Washed out on one of those big rock faces on Joyride but managed to slide down about 20 ft. or so on my leg armor. Big bruise on my ass as a result. No worries though.

Called it a night, drank major Kokanees and partied with some local kids after the fam went to bed.

A good day indeed!


Day 2

Spent most of my time riding and coaching with the wifey on the lower mountain.
She's stepping up big time! Her favorite thus far is Crank it Up - Heart of Darkness.
Had her in the intermediate skills area and got her to hit some of those drops.
No problema! The girl is gettin' it on!

Did a Dirt - A line run and then went up top and hit Freight Train - Original Sin - Goat's Gully - back to Freight and then Dirt - A Line.

Ate major shiate on a steep in Goat's Gully and had to sit down for a second to recollect my marbles. I had it pinned but got hung up in some roots at the bottom and went OTB and bounced down the trail real far. I mean real far. Ouch!

Called it a day and hit the hot tub with the fam and now major Kokanee consumption is under way.

Tomorrow will be all upper mountain goodness. I have a debt to repay to that fyckiing Goat's Gully.

Cheers!

eio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Nice mang..

I just got back from 4 days of raping that mountain. I'm still burnt from all that riding. It was super hot when I was there and It made riding all that more tiring. I spent one of the last days
sitting by the pool for too long. I have the nastiest sunburn! My whole chest is peeling and itchy! O therwise the new section on Freight Train are awesome and that step up to the containers is fun as well. I really started to groove on No Duff. That trail is super fun.
I wrecked a few times as well on stuff I've ridden a thousand times. Must've been the heat?
Anyways, have fun. I think my fork is messed up so it might be a few weeks till I can get back up there. Watch out for the Clownshoes drop. I hit it when I was there and landed on a really sharp rock that is protruding out of the tranny. I put a hole through my tire and blasted my tube. That rock is a major hazard! Otherwise the Clown is the Clown.
Later....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
sounds really sweet man!! made a "score" huh? what did you score?

where are the pics man!?!?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
hey eo i saw you were from seatle. how is the downhill/freeride spots over there??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Goats Gulley sucks. Pete Morin is up there working and I read on that goats gully will get worked on. Which would be good. Actually I like most of it but that steep section after the right switchback is just dumb.

My ride is trashed from the last whistler mission, just hoping I can get it all fixed up for july 21-30!
 

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ibanezrg520kid said:
sounds really sweet man!! made a "score" huh? what did you score?

where are the pics man!?!?!
Who wants to stop to take pics? :rolleyes:

No time for such silliness...........
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
oh like we believe you.....you have no proof of pictures....I bet you stayed home this weekend looking at pron on the web
e[I said:
o]Day 1

Got here a little late but managed to get on the lift by 5:30.

Run 1
A little warm up on Crank it Up - Whistler DH - Monkey Hands - Heart of Darkness.
That got me blood moving a bit so..........

Run 2
One of my favs - Dirt Merchant - A- Line - GLC
Had my jump on and managed to hit all but 1 or 2 trannies on the run.

Run 3
All the way to the top. Criss crossed amonst No Joke - Freight Train - Original Sin - Duff Man - A Line (I think). Sooooooooooo fun. Holy crap.

Run 4
Mixtture of Joyride - Rock City - Lower Whistler DH - something else ?????
Whoa! Steeeeeeeeepness. Washed out on one of those big rock faces on Joyride but managed to slide down about 20 ft. or so on my leg armor. Big bruise on my ass as a result. No worries though.

Called it a night, drank major Kokanees and partied with some local kids after the fam went to bed.

A good day indeed!

Day 2

Spent most of my time riding and coaching with the wifey on the lower mountain.
She's stepping up big time! Her favorite thus far is Crank it Up - Heart of Darkness.
Had her in the intermediate skills area and got her to hit some of those drops.
No problema! The girl is gettin' it on!

Did a Dirt - A line run and then went up top and hit Freight Train - Original Sin - Goat's Gully - back to Freight and then Dirt - A Line.

Ate major shiate on a steep in Goat's Gully and had to sit down for a second to recollect my marbles. I had it pinned but got hung up in some roots at the bottom and went OTB and bounced down the trail real far. I mean real far. Ouch!

Called it a day and hit the hot tub with the fam and now major Kokanee consumption is under way.

Tomorrow will be all upper mountain goodness. I have a debt to repay to that fyckiing Goat's Gully.

Cheers!

eio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
FM said:
Goats Gulley sucks. Pete Morin is up there working and I read on that goats gully will get worked on. Which would be good. Actually I like most of it but that steep section after the right switchback is just dumb.

My ride is trashed from the last whistler mission, just hoping I can get it all fixed up for july 21-30!
Goat's Gulley is fine the way it is. Pete may be good at armoring, but the trail will be made easier which is just lame. The steep section isn't dumb, it's just a little harder than the rest of the trail.
 

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
oh like we believe you.....you have no proof of pictures....I bet you stayed home this weekend looking at pron on the web
You are drunk and stoopid Mr. Shiver Beater. :rolleyes:

Now eat your Ben & Jerry's ice cream bar and go to bed Phat Man.
 

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Penny said:
The steep section isn't dumb, it's just a little harder than the rest of the trail.
Yep, its hard alright.

Hard on the ass, hard on the head, hard on the shoulder, and hard on the back.

.........I said hard on.
 

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
one word..................

L I A R
OK, now you've got another one of these coming next time I see you.

 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
e[I said:
o]You are drunk and stoopid Mr. Shiver Beater. :rolleyes:

Now eat your Ben & Jerry's ice cream bar and go to bed Phat Man.
:mad: :mad: store ran out.........................:mad: :mad: :mad:
 

·
Innovate or die!
Joined
·
702 Posts
crank it up is Gods blessing to A-line.......

gives all the people that shouldn't be on A-line a home, and brings more intermediates to a safe section of the mtn.

yay
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Penny said:
Goat's Gulley is fine the way it is. Pete may be good at armoring, but the trail will be made easier which is just lame. The steep section isn't dumb, it's just a little harder than the rest of the trail.
E,

The park should be good and open today. Have fun and be safe up there.

Hey Penny, I don't disagree with you, but there are a couple of sections of GG where I think Pete's work will make that trail better. Right now, when it's dry like it has been the last couple of weeks, it's fine. When it's wet and slick, those sections are an arse-over-tea-kettle waiting to happen and, worse yet, an erosive mess. I've seen more people dragging their tires down those sections than I can shake a stick at.

I'm not for dumbing any trails down (although whistler seems to be doing that more these days), but making a couple of those stretches less susceptible to erosion makes sense from the standpoint of long-term viability of the trail. Unlike something like Ride Don't Slide, for instance, GG is seeing a lot more tires down it in the summer. Without some rock work, I could see a serious reroute in the future. Personally, I'd like to see the steeps kept on that trail and I can't see that happening without some of Peters rock work happening. Maybe I'm misinformed about the sections he'll be working on, but that was my take on it.

Cheers,
EBX
 

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ebxtreme said:
E,

The park should be good and open today. Have fun and be safe up there.

EBX
Yep. Weather is looking good this morning.
I'm a little stiff & sore today from that tumble but not as bad as I thought I'd be.
A few runs and some Naproxen should loosen me up.

I agree with you about the erosion on some of those trails. There's a lot of brake dragging and tire skidding thats pretty evident up there. A lot of berms are also showing chuck holes from tire skipping. A little rock fortification would go a long way.
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
e[I said:
o]Yep. Weather is looking good this morning.
I'm a little stiff & sore today from that tumble but not as bad as I thought I'd be.
A few runs and some Naproxen should loosen me up.

I agree with you about the erosion on some of those trails. There's a lot of brake dragging and tire skidding thats pretty evident up there. A lot of berms are also showing chuck holes from tire skipping. A little rock fortification would go a long way.
E, if you get this before you depart today, Zane is in unit H - not unit J as I had told you on Friday. Thanks mang....

EB
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,704 Posts
Penny said:
Goat's Gulley is fine the way it is. Pete may be good at armoring, but the trail will be made easier which is just lame. The steep section isn't dumb, it's just a little harder than the rest of the trail.
I agree - but bear in mind this comes from someone who's favorite trail is Gravitron and who thinks Babylon by bike is XC
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top