Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and a few friends are planning a trip to whistler this summer and all of us have never been there before. have any of you taken your bikes on the plane and if so was this a total hassle or should we ship them? we are gonna be there for a week so should we rent a car and try to hit some spots outside of whistler? i have also looked at lodging and the delta whistler, whistler pinnacle and crystal lodge all look decent and cheap. anyone stay at any of these places or have an opinion? also have any of you been there during crankworks and is it worth going during the festival? meaning are the crowds too much and part of the mtn closed down. finally any info on guides etc would be really helpful and has anyone done the freeride tours there? any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I went for CrankWorks last season....definitely one of the best times to go.
There's soo much riding and soo many trailes to ride that the closures are the least of your concerns. Then in between riding you get to see the boys go off. I was heading up the lift last year and got to see soemone..I think Timo...flip on of the big sets.

As far as bikes on the plane go....It's fairly inexpensive. $60 - $70 If I remember correctly.
As far as lodging goes...who cares...it's Whistler. Last year I stayed 2 nights at the Sundial Inn, one night on Gareth Dyers couch and one night back at the Sundial.
Sleeping is only out of necessity toride the next day.

I've already made my reservations for this year. See you there if you go.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
nygemini said:
me and a few friends are planning a trip to whistler this summer and all of us have never been there before. have any of you taken your bikes on the plane and if so was this a total hassle or should we ship them? we are gonna be there for a week so should we rent a car and try to hit some spots outside of whistler? i have also looked at lodging and the delta whistler, whistler pinnacle and crystal lodge all look decent and cheap. anyone stay at any of these places or have an opinion? also have any of you been there during crankworks and is it worth going during the festival? meaning are the crowds too much and part of the mtn closed down. finally any info on guides etc would be really helpful and has anyone done the freeride tours there? any info would be greatly appreciated.
wow, lotta q's...

I've gone to BC two years in a row and am returning this July
first year was with Freeridetours.com - and I would HIGHLY recommend them - for the price it is a nearly unbeatable trip - you hit a little bit of everything in BC, including Whistler, the North Shore, a heli-drop (which is incredible) and trails all over BC that you have seen in films and magazines - they run a real first-rate business, good food (and lots of it) GREAT riders (some you've heard of and seen in films, some you haven't - but who still kick a$$) - you camp out in insanely beautiful campgrounds next to lakes and rivers - you ride, get hurt, ride, break your bike, fix your bike, ride and ride some more - in between all that you drive in some very nice vans watching mountain bike vids and "The Family Guy" - you'll drink a TON of very bad Canadian beer & you will have the time of your life.

last year's trip to save $ and hit what was best, I packed my bike in a cardboard bike box and flew to Vancouver with a couple of friends, we rented a crew-cab F150 and spent two days on the North Shore and two days at Whistler - it was MORE than enough riding to satisfy nearly anyone - had a blast, separated my shoulder, destroyed my bike

it will cost you a variable amount to bring your bike w/you on the plane (Alaska was $50 for both ways - others can be more like $40 each way)

my recommendation for a first visit is to do the Freeridetours - but if not, rent a truck and hit the Shore, Whistler and maybe Squamish - other than the Shore & Whistler, finding local trails is tough if not impossible (you drive up logging roads taking turns here and there and stop in the middle of nowhere and the trailhead is often hidden) - and I don't know how helpful locals will be in pointing out their own trails to outsiders

good luck, have fun, take a spare rear der. and extra brake rotors at least...

·
40 Posts
$80 each way for a bike on United. If you don't have a box, they have boxes large enough for 3 bikes ;)

Either buy a soft/hardcase or find a decent box from a local shop and pack your bike beforehand. You'll be much better off than using the Ginormous boxen that United has on hand. I could almost fit my DH-9 into it without removing either wheel...and it was full-on dork material wheeling it thru Whistler's airport.

There's plenty to ride at the resort alone and lots of local places for food, drinks and groceries. There's also the absolute worst strip club on the planet there....

Aside from the resort, there's also "A-River-Runs-Thru-It" trail with lots of interesting stunts within riding distance from the resort. Keep in mind that Whistler is a couple hours from the airport, so a car may be helpful.

·
40 Posts
haxormachine said:
$80 each way for a bike on United. If you don't have a box, they have boxes large enough for 3 bikes ;)

Either buy a soft/hardcase or find a decent box from a local shop and pack your bike beforehand. You'll be much better off than using the Ginormous boxen that United has on hand. I could almost fit my DH-9 into it without removing either wheel...and it was full-on dork material wheeling it thru Whistler's airport.

There's plenty to ride at the resort alone and lots of local places for food, drinks and groceries. There's also the absolute worst strip club on the planet there....

Aside from the resort, there's also "A-River-Runs-Thru-It" trail with lots of interesting stunts within riding distance from the resort. Keep in mind that Whistler is a couple hours from the airport, so a car may be helpful.
Heh - Dorkbait thru Vancouver BC airport that is.....

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
macrider said:
wow, lotta q's...

I've gone to BC two years in a row and am returning this July
first year was with Freeridetours.com - and I would HIGHLY recommend them - for the price it is a nearly unbeatable trip - you hit a little bit of everything in BC, including Whistler, the North Shore, a heli-drop (which is incredible) and trails all over BC that you have seen in films and magazines - they run a real first-rate business, good food (and lots of it) GREAT riders (some you've heard of and seen in films, some you haven't - but who still kick a$$) - you camp out in insanely beautiful campgrounds next to lakes and rivers - you ride, get hurt, ride, break your bike, fix your bike, ride and ride some more - in between all that you drive in some very nice vans watching mountain bike vids and "The Family Guy" - you'll drink a TON of very bad Canadian beer & you will have the time of your life.

last year's trip to save $ and hit what was best, I packed my bike in a cardboard bike box and flew to Vancouver with a couple of friends, we rented a crew-cab F150 and spent two days on the North Shore and two days at Whistler - it was MORE than enough riding to satisfy nearly anyone - had a blast, separated my shoulder, destroyed my bike
Hey macrider, I was looking at doing a camp at whistler for this year, but this camp looks cool too and it's cheaper. It also seems like it would be cooler 'cause you can hit different trails, not just Whistler. Anyway I was wondering how good do you need to be to go on the trip? It says experienced, but it's not very clear.
What would you say the range in ability was?
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
matt said:
Hey macrider, I was looking at doing a camp at whistler for this year, but this camp looks cool too and it's cheaper. It also seems like it would be cooler 'cause you can hit different trails, not just Whistler. Anyway I was wondering how good do you need to be to go on the trip? It says experienced, but it's not very clear.
What would you say the range in ability was?
Thanks,
Matt
the Freeride tours is great - one of the reasons it's cheap is you camp in tents (they provide the tents - you put them up and take them down as they cook for you) - no big deal at all...and you get a LOT of different trails - it's a great intro to all the riding BC has to offer - with pro-level tour guides - honestly, the heli-drop alone makes the trip a great value...

as far as skill levels? the trip I did had quite a variety - when I went it was 6 weeks after I had gotten out of a cast for a broken leg (tib fracture in the ankle) - and only 3 weeks after I sprained the same ankle dirt jumping - so I was fairly timid and didn't hit everything - there were my friends who were at my level (although less injured) - hitting some, but by no means all of the drops, skinnies etc. etc. - there were a couple of 17yr olds from BC who went OFF (one on a hardtail) - hitting everything - there was a kid from Boston who didn't hit much - variety of levels - but in general it's not an issue - there are often multiple ways down - and you can always walk things that scare the sh*t out of you...with no shame at all.....
if you have a few friends sign up you know that at least some of the people on the trip will be at your level - and no matter how good you are, your guides will probably be better...

oh, and go EARLY this year!!! - that's true no matter what trip you do - BC has had a REALLY bad drought this winter - and the fire season is likely to be early & huge - resulting in lots of closures (two years ago was similar and we passed TONS of forest fires and Kamloops was closed for fire danger) - so I'd say June or July to avoid any problems...

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Ship your bike via UPS

If you're going straight to Whistler, get a bike box from a shop and pack it up (wrapping it carefully) and ship it directly to Fanatyko or Evolution in Whistler via UPS. It'll cost you less than putting it on the plane and you won't have to deal with the hassle of figuring out how to transport it to and from the airport.

If you plan to hit the shore first, do the same as above but ship it to either John Henry, Cove, Dizzy or On Top. Any reputable bike shop should be ok with you shipping your bike in/out of their location if they're cool. Obviously, you'll want to arrange it with them in advance and figure out all of the logistics first.

As far as timing goes, I agree with Mac 100% that heading there in August may be too late this year. We've had an awful winter in the Northwest and, until recently, barely had any snow at all. There were rumors a couple of weeks ago of Whistler opening up by mid-April (my crew was praying to the sun gods!). Recent snowfall has slowed those talks, but it's still going to be ultra dry this summer and we will definitely have some fire restrictions like we've had the past couple of years.

If you've got a big crew, rent a house or condo from allura direct. It'll give you your own place and will be cheaper in the long run. www.alluradirect.com If you're looking to stay really cheap, there's a couple of hostels and the shoestring inn which is super cheap and is above the Boot Pub for easy drinking access.

About Crankworks......it depends what you're looking for here. I've been to the Joyride events and did Crankworks last year. If I were you and was looking to get as much riding in as possible and you want to see this event, here's what I do. Get there early in the week and hit the park hard during the weekdays before the crowds get there and the boneyard is shutdown for practice. Believe me when I say that 3 or 4 days in the park is going to completely work you over....I don't care what kind of shape you're in.

Then on Saturday and Sunday, hit some of the killer trails outside of the park - Cheap Thrills, Danimal, RRTI, Gargamel, Train Wreck, etc. or head to Squamish or Pemberton for some lesser known stuff. Then, you can head back to the village to check out the slopestyle and the other events in the late afternoon. Yes, this would mean you'll need to pedal your bikes uphill..... :eek:

I can't comment on the tours, but for someone that has never been to BC, it may be worthwhile and provide you the most bang-for-buck. With that said, I think that with a little bit of legwork in advance, you could hit the same stuff that they'd take you on. Certainly, you don't need a tourguide for the Bike Park, but for the Shore, Woodlot, Vedder, Sumas, Squamish or Pemberton it would help with hitting the best trails and would take care of all of the logistics which would be sweet..

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Ride To The Hills said:
yeah man, im stoked too. You thinkin yay or nay on the camp?
yeah i was looking at the gravity camp too if that's what you are talking about. if you guys are gonna hit the camp I may go just to see the KB jibstar in action. i know a few of kadvangs friends are going too...

macrider- thanks for all the info on the tour, it's looking pretty good right now as well as the whistler camp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
guys, thanks so much for all the info, it is greatly appreciated. me and a bunch of guys from the nyc area are tentatively going there the 1st week in august. i would like to go earlier, esp after the drought info, but i dont think that fits everyones schedule. again, thanks for the info and if anyone is going to be there then or wants to ride in the nyc area let me know.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
ebxtreme said:
If you're going straight to Whistler, get a bike box from a shop and pack it up (wrapping it carefully) and ship it directly to Fanatyko or Evolution in Whistler via UPS. It'll cost you less than putting it on the plane and you won't have to deal with the hassle of figuring out how to transport it to and from the airport.

If you plan to hit the shore first, do the same as above but ship it to either John Henry, Cove, Dizzy or On Top. Any reputable bike shop should be ok with you shipping your bike in/out of their location if they're cool. Obviously, you'll want to arrange it with them in advance and figure out all of the logistics first.

Cheers,
EB
shipping it saves the hassle of lugging your bike through the airport

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.