Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008527823_webwhistler16m.html

The Associated Press

WHISTLER, B.C. - A gondola tower has collapsed at the Whistler ski resort, trapping passengers inside two gondolas on the mountain.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police say the gondolas did not fall, but remain on the cables with passengers inside. The Vancouver Sun is reporting the accident happened on the Excaliber Gondola and not the new Peak-to-Peak gondola that opened earlier this month to connect Whistler and Blackcomb mountains.

Police say there were no serious injuries, but two people were taken to a hospital. Officials dispatched six ambulances and an air ambulance following the accident, which happened around 2:30 p.m.

The tower collapsed near Fitzsimmons Creek, between Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. The cause was not immediately known.

The Excalibur can hold eight people per car, is about 7,230 feet long and at its highest is about 1,204 feet tall, according to the Whistler/Blackcomb Web site. This is one of the resort's veteran gondolas.

Seattle Times news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
ddaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnn...I'm a little spooked out by those things when we ride them in the summer.....now I have more things to ignite the panic fires in my gut the next time I'm taking the chair.

Glad to hear no one got seriously hurt. Yikes!

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
I now have more confidence in the cables than the towers.

One time. At band camp. About 14 years ago, I had to share a Gondola with a giddy wedding party at Squaw.

Canoe imagine WTF would happen if that thing fell on somebody's wedding day?

This belongs in the flashback / retro thread from a coupla weeks ago.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
scooter you must be new to this whole dh thing eh?
Or you've been downhilling under a rock for the past ten years since Whistler has been the Holy Grail of DH biking.

But yeah, it's in NorCal....just reeeeal NOR cal.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Everyone knows that one day California will raise an army and march north. Oregon will be difficult until we get to Portland, then all those liberal hippies will fall like flies, as we make our way through Washington and then to B.C.

Hence this post is really for the future Norcal...British California

edit: That sucks, I've been stuck on a chair lift for about 3-4 hours before and I was scared to death, I can't imagine having something completely fail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.