Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I will be in Whistler from July 5 -10th and in Vancouver from July 11 - 14th, unfortunately it is for a fairly intense conference and as such I will probably not have more than a couple half days available in Whistler and maybe 1 day in Vancouver.

I am looking for some decent XC/Trail riding in either area, I will not have my bike with me (2007 Blur LT) so I will also be looking for a decent rental. Out here in Ontario, I ride tight twisty singletrack, with a fair amount of roots and small rocks (8-15 inch rocks).

I am an intermediate rider, just getting into XC racing (entering Sport class), I ride probably about 60 kms per week of XC/Trail out here, to give you an idea of my riding level.

I am hoping someone could recommend some trails that would fit my skill level and a place where I can rent a decent bike. I will also not have transportation in either city so proximity or ease of getting there would be preferrable (staying at the HIlton in Whistler and the Four Seasons in Vancouver).

If you need more info on my riding style/ability just ask, I am looking for something technically challenging, that has good flow with decent climbs and not to crazy descents.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers All

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
XC23 said:
Out here in Ontario, I ride tight twisty singletrack, with a fair amount of roots and small rocks (8-15 inch rocks).

If you need more info on my riding style/ability just ask, I am looking for something technically challenging, that has good flow with decent climbs and not to crazy descents.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers All
Flow is a relative term out here. Flowing XC singletrack is more of a Squamish thing.

But in general you've described the Bridle Path in North Vancouver on Mt.Seymour: rooty, lots of short climbs and descents, and technically challenging, but stunt free. There's a bike shop in North Vancouver at the base of Mt.Seymour that can rent you a Devinci, Norco or Rocky Mountain bike.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rockyuphill said:
Flow is a relative term out here. Flowing XC singletrack is more of a Squamish thing.

But in general you've described the Bridle Path in North Vancouver on Mt.Seymour: rooty, lots of short climbs and descents, and technically challenging, but stunt free. There's a bike shop in North Vancouver at the base of Mt.Seymour that can rent you a Devinci, Norco or Rocky Mountain bike.
When I say 'flow' I mean a trail with climbs and descents, that loops arounds but also gives the chance for some tight and twisty singletrack.

I have heard of the Bridle Path, don't know to much about it, but I will take a look.

As for a bike to rent, would the Rocky Mountain ETSX be able to handle the conditions of the Bridle Path or would it be to much/not enough (ie. Element or Slayer instead?). I am 6'4 and weigh in around 200 lbs with gear.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
What most people think of as XC flow is just not that common on the mountains in North Van. Much more one thing after another. You could ride Bridle on an ETSX, but a Slayer SXC might be a bit more comfy. There's no big drops or stunts, so it's a matter of having a rear suspension that can keep the tire in contact with the surface over very bumpy surfaces. There are pieces of the trail that aren't really rooty as well but not so much of it. Examples of Bridle Path ups and downs, it's not always evident how much elevation change there is in the shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pics, that is exactly the kind of trail that I ride, that one climb looks great.

Can you post the name of that rental company, the link you supplied does not work.

Thanks again

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Different Bikes... yes their website seems to have slowly dissolved this afternoon, it worked when I snagged the link. Normally the website is full of useful info, I just phoned them to let them know it's down and they know, they're working on it. So check the link tomorrow and it should be good.

Phone number 604-929-4327

map

(update: as of June 17 their website seems to be alive again)
http://www.differentbikes.ca/contact/north-vancouver

·
Crashing hurts.
34 Posts
Check out SnowCovers in Whistler for some good XC rentals. Lots of places rent full blown DH rigs and cheap hardtails, but that's the only place I know that rents good DS XC bikes. Plenty of trails nearby and shouldn't be hard to get some directions or aquire a riding buddy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.