Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I rode a rougher trail today and that sealed the deal--I'm officially hooked on riding rigid. I love the lighter bike for the climbs, and the downs are more fun than ever having to use technique and finesse (and occasionally less speed).

I sent Whisky an email yesterday regarding the blemishes, and didn't get a reply. Since their website has about 5 pages bragging about how "hardworking" they are, I'm a little surprised they didn't respond. I'm starting to wish I bought the Niner fork instead.

Here's a picture in lighting which really highlights one of the "patches". It's like this fork was damaged and repaired, or there was a manufacturing defect they needed to hide. I probably shouldn't be riding it, but I don't see any signs of weakness or structural problems.
Looks like a perfectly good UD finish carbon fork to me.
Have a look at a Tallboy one day. Same finish.
At the risk of being flamed, this fork looks identical to my Hongfu fork.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is there a suggested rider weight limit for this fork?

I'm missing the ride of my carbon rigid fork, but was pushing it by 15 lbs. over and finally twisted one of the mag caps off in a nasty otb wreck. :mad:

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I've had one on my Selma since May, and love the ride. The shorter rake makes for a bit more trail, and the bike handles very well and is still stable. I think that the 45mm fork might be a bit too quick-handling for my tastes, but I don't like a twitchy bike. Been riding rigid for 6+ years now, and the CF Whisky fork has a really nice ride. Niner's fork also feels good, but the tapered steerer with a King headset makes for a really solid feeling front end. I'm about 190 and ride moderate terrain, with lots of rocks, etc... but I don't really bomb anything (at least on purpose...) any more.

·
Registered
615 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352560541.558673.jpg
As SS Hack mentioned, I am also fairly certain that the Whiskey #7 is the same fork that comes standard with the Civilian Luddite. It rides nice and is light weight.....I am slightly concerned about the carbon steer tube but I haven't heard of any failures.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
View attachment 736571
As SS Hack mentioned, I am also fairly certain that the Whiskey #7 is the same fork that comes standard with the Civilian Luddite. It rides nice and is light weight.....I am slightly concerned about the carbon steer tube but I haven't heard of any failures.
I took mine off for a while and it looks identical; it weighs 550 grams with toe cap, bolt, crown race, etc. Off the bike, it feels scary light!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts