Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
"will be a “carbon dirt rim,” not another carbon winter fat rim"
70mm is a width that works very well for me in my area. I may be unrealistic in my desires but I am hopeful they come in under 550 grams.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
If these are going to be super pricey, then is there much difference in performance and weight between 65 and 70mm, and 70 and 80mm width carbon rims? I ask because there are alternatives in 65 and 80mm widths, depending on the asking price of the Whisky rims. LaMere sells 65mm width carbon rims (not sure if it has double walls). Sarma offers 80mm carbon rims with double-wall construction.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,014 Posts
If these are going to be super pricey, then is there much difference in performance and weight between 65 and 70mm, and 70 and 80mm width carbon rims? I ask because there are alternatives in 65 and 80mm widths, depending on the asking price of the Whisky rims. LaMere sells 65mm width carbon rims (not sure if it has double walls). Sarma offers 80mm carbon rims with double-wall construction.
The LaMere aren't exactly cheap either though...

Carbon Rims 65mm or 80mm: $1100/set
Complete wheelset with Industry9 hubs: $1800

Depends on what you are riding, I'm liking the Marge Lite rim width for summer, more rounded tire profile & lighter than the holy rolling darryl.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a notable difference in the width (and ride) of a 3.8" tire when mounted to a 65mm or 80mm rim. Like Shark, I like a lighter, narrower rim for dirt, so I'm on 65mm Marge Lites. There would have to be a big weight savings and a decent price for me to consider these.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
There's a notable difference in the width (and ride) of a 3.8" tire when mounted to a 65mm or 80mm rim. Like Shark, I like a lighter, narrower rim for dirt, so I'm on 65mm Marge Lites. There would have to be a big weight savings and a decent price for me to consider these.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SmooveP again.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
So what is the difference between riding the two rims? Also any idea what size width the 3.8" tire becomes when mounted on the 65mm rim?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what is the difference between riding the two rims? Also any idea what size width the 3.8" tire becomes when mounted on the 65mm rim?

Thanks
Just a bit less "fat" with the narrower rim. Steering response is sharper, and the reduced rolling weight makes the bike feel livelier, less monster trucky.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts