Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dennis you just have to make the trek up here, you have no idea how many trails there are here.

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
0gre said:
Mebe, are there many trails open this time of year?
All the trails are open year round. Whiskeytown is mostly decomposed granite, so it drains really well.

Whiskeytown's boundary is maybe 4 miles from Redding. I can ride to Whisketown and back from home via dirt, taking different routes to and from. The riding in Redding is unbelievably good 3 seasons of the year. But don't tell anyone!

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
awesome...

I love Whiskeytown. Only whenever I'm there, there's never a view! I climbed that God-forsaken Shasta Bally only to freeze in the clouds. What a grind that is. I can only imagine the view from up there on a clear day. Must be fantastic. I'm sensing a road trip...

·
871 Posts
Hey K-max I've ridden Whiskeytown for years and have been to the top of Shasta Bally a total of one time! I don't mind steep climbs, and always enjoy a great view, its just that there are so many other rides that are so much better. Check here for some ride descriptions:
http://www.geocities.com/mtbikewhiskeytown/pages/whiskeytown.htm

I'm particuarly fond of the Mule Mountain loop described there. I think some of the pics above may have been taken from Mule Mtn pass.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,913 Posts
Weekender?

K-max said:
I love Whiskeytown. Only whenever I'm there, there's never a view! I climbed that God-forsaken Shasta Bally only to freeze in the clouds. What a grind that is. I can only imagine the view from up there on a clear day. Must be fantastic. I'm sensing a road trip...
Maybe we can schedule a weekend trip and carpool? Todd said I could sack out on his floor. He will probably let you crash as well.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Amen to that.

I've done a few really great rides there. Kanaka Peak is excellent. Next time though, I need to ride it in the right direction. We went UP the steep hike-a-bike ridge only to have a gentle descent. We also did the trail that starts at the Powerhouse and goes out (hike) to a waterfall. Which one is that? I also did the fireroad climb on the other side of the highway, forgetting the name. If I only knew there was singletrack on the backside of that climb.

Yeah, Shasta Bally. I had my eye on it from the first ride. Then I joined the Redding MTB club in October for their annual ride. They don't touch it any other time. I can see why. Still an awesome ride, though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
0gre said:
Maybe we can schedule a weekend trip and carpool? Todd said I could sack out on his floor. He will probably let you crash as well.
Any time I have plenty of room, and we can ride right from my house.

·
871 Posts
BelaySlave said:
I unfortunately do not live in NorCal (I'm an Idaho boy), but I surf this part of MTBR alot. Anyhoo I just wanted to say that I bookmarked your site...I love the way you have a bike related quote at the top of each page for each trail you describe.
I'd love to take credit for the Whiskeytown website, but it's maintained by a RMB member named Max. If you want ride info from the site, download it now, Max is publishing a Whiskeytown ride book soon and will take down his website when the book is ready. Last I heard the book should be available in January. BTW, it should be a pretty good resource as it will include rides in the Shasta Dam, French Gulch, and west Redding areas too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.