Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cholla Magnent
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just signed up for the WO, the 25 miler. I am new to this event. Looking at the course profile and reading up on it it seems to be a killer. Looks like 16 or so miles of climbing, Iike doing Mt. Lemmon, on a MTB! I don't mind climbing, but what I wanted to know is the climbing technical? Anyone know the average grade? I think I might of gotten in over my head!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,958 Posts
On trail 48 its technical and very steep @ times, a lot of up and down and a good steep climb @ the end. The rest is steady and not overly steep.

·
Cholla Magnent
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like the Trail 48 section is not that long. So if I have to hike a' bike for a bit I don't mind!

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
You'll be in good company. This could be easily be called the Whiskey Off-Bike if you're not fond of climbing. Plenty of people end up walking their bikes at various times, but if you've done Mt Lemmon, then you have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I'm in for the 25, single speed, as usual. *insert groan*

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
The climbs are tough, but the downhill sections will also take a lot out of you. You wouldn't think riding downhill would be exhausting, and normally it isn't, but it is in this race.

·
Registered
632 Posts
..25 will hurt and fiddy will hurt real bad. Sure will be hard to convince myself to make that Skull Valley route, knowing the pain involved coming back up. Just focus on the party in town after the finish.
Like this guy says, we must be on drugs like LA, haha :D
This must be the reason we ride hard and keep coming back for more.

·
Old and Slow
121 Posts
In for the 25 (which is actually nearly 29) again......you would think I would learn. But hey, I am a glutton for punishment!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did the 15-mile last year, and am doing the 25 this year. It was a blast - by far one of my favorite races. It is definitely challenging, but worth it! You'll have a good time!

·
Registered
632 Posts
brokenSaddle said:
I did, and I'm wondering why. 7,000 feet of climbing ...
I see a gathering of us 50 milers at skull valley trying to answer that question before we begin the painful grind back up the road together :D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I am signed up for the 50 SS... I want those tickets to Ireland!!! (ok... pipe dream but if 10-15 key racers have mechanical's I am IN!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!)

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
tamen00 said:
I am signed up for the 50 SS... I want those tickets to Ireland!!! (ok... pipe dream but if 10-15 key racers have mechanical's I am IN!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!)
Who you trying to BS, if one or two racers have mechanical's is more like it. I'll be doing the 25ss again to make up for last year's poor performance (extreme hangover) then next year I'll so the 50.

·
Registered
226 Posts
K3N said:
Anyone sign up for 50, or am I the only nutcase?
I'm must be crazy too, I'm in for the 50 Proof as well. Full suspension as many gears as I can use...1st timer too...:thumbsup:

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Merost said:
The climbs are tough, but the downhill sections will also take a lot out of you. You wouldn't think riding downhill would be exhausting, and normally it isn't, but it is in this race.
Why?

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
26er_Chick said:
Because the downhill is steep, rocky, sketchy. You really have to concentrate on what you're doing.
Thanks, all the video stuff I have seen looks pretty buff, so I was trying to decide on setup. Most comments I saw said there was not much technical stuff until I saw this today. Although, different riders have different definitions of technical. :)

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
TacoBeer said:
Who you trying to BS, if one or two racers have mechanical's is more like it. I'll be doing the 25ss again to make up for last year's poor performance (extreme hangover) then next year I'll so the 50.
My goal is for this to be my one and only Whiskey, I aspire to the AES Prescott Monstercross next year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts