Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this year. Fri crit weather beautiful. Sat am xc friggin blizzard, Sun beautiful again. I raced Sat-- I was kinda busy. Overall a great race weekend, even with the crazy storm. Unforgettable for sure.

·
What gear are you running
1,617 Posts
Great video! Thanks for putting that together and posting it up. Totally doing the Whiskey next year.

·
Need more cowbell
938 Posts
CO is just TRYING to be humorous.

I will this once, on a public forum, give him props for completing the 50 on Saturday in that mess.

Wow...that was difficult to say.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Great video! Thanks for putting that together and posting it up. Totally doing the Whiskey next year.
Dennis... Very much worth it. The only question is the 25 or the 50?

·
What gear are you running
1,617 Posts
Dennis... Very much worth it. The only question is the 25 or the 50?
Thinking 50 :) I know I can do the mileage, but I am going to need to be able to work up to that much climbing in one ride.

This year I did the MBAA circuit. Next year I am going to go for the longer endurance races. Still trying to decide on the 15, 30 or 45 for fire on the rim. Probably doing the 30, but could be persuaded in either direction.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Thinking 50 :) I know I can do the mileage, but I am going to need to be able to work up to that much climbing in one ride...
I would not expect anyone to be able to do it without some long ride training. That said feet of climbing is not everything. I did a few training rides intended to get me out to the 50 mile distance and most importantly estimated ride time.

I did that 46 mile BCT ride which took 7hrs total and about 5:50 ride time. Less feet climbing, but as it turns out more ride time and total time. I then did a 57 miles ride in the Mcdowell's that again was less feet climbing, but was 6hrs pedaling time. I think those rides were critical to get me used to riding that many hours. I was able to understand my food and water needs and how to balance my power output. In the mean time did try to get as much climbing in as possible, but I don't feel like I needed a 6700 feet climb ride to do this. However knowing that I could ride the distance and time the rest was just turning the pedals over. I do think I could have gone faster and my goal for next year is to improve my time by pushing just a bit harder on the climbs. I also hope that better weather will improve time a bit too. Next year's goal time would be 5:30 instead of 6:00. A few min here and there and it should happen, but you never know. My march/april training plan could get hosed up so you never really know.

I don't know about fire on the rim ride, but even then 45 is strong distance. The only issue with prep for that is summer rides can be hard to get the time in being in Phx. I know that is an issue for me so I would need to head north to get 4-6hr rides under my belt to ensure I am ready for a 45 mile race. I doubt I would be ready for that distance with 2-3 hrs early AM rides even after doing the whiskey 50. Still if you can get a 2-3 weekend where you can get in long distance rides and then get enough rides during week you probably can retain or gain the fitness for the longer stuff.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I would not expect anyone to be able to do it without some long ride training. That said feet of climbing is not everything. I did a few training rides intended to get me out to the 50 mile distance and most importantly estimated ride time.

I did that 46 mile BCT ride which took 7hrs total and about 5:50 ride time. Less feet climbing, but as it turns out more ride time and total time. I then did a 57 miles ride in the Mcdowell's that again was less feet climbing, but was 6hrs pedaling time. I think those rides were critical to get me used to riding that many hours. I was able to understand my food and water needs and how to balance my power output. In the mean time did try to get as much climbing in as possible, but I don't feel like I needed a 6700 feet climb ride to do this. However knowing that I could ride the distance and time the rest was just turning the pedals over. I do think I could have gone faster and my goal for next year is to improve my time by pushing just a bit harder on the climbs. I also hope that better weather will improve time a bit too. Next year's goal time would be 5:30 instead of 6:00. A few min here and there and it should happen, but you never know. My march/april training plan could get hosed up so you never really know.

I don't know about fire on the rim ride, but even then 45 is strong distance. The only issue with prep for that is summer rides can be hard to get the time in being in Phx. I know that is an issue for me so I would need to head north to get 4-6hr rides under my belt to ensure I am ready for a 45 mile race. I doubt I would be ready for that distance with 2-3 hrs early AM rides even after doing the whiskey 50. Still if you can get a 2-3 weekend where you can get in long distance rides and then get enough rides during week you probably can retain or gain the fitness for the longer stuff.
You don't really need to train the distance to ride the distance...

·
Got a suspension fork
2,447 Posts
While I think it's beneficial to go the distance before an event, many trainers out there argue that interval training is just as if not more effective and require far less total training time (but much higher intensity.)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Not all the rides needs to be the distance, but if you are pushing out beyond your normal range by enough to sure helps. if your body is used to 3hr rides then doing a 6hr ride will be a shock and might not end well. Just a couple rides will help train your body and your mind for the big day. It also gives you time to learn your food/water needs. I know for me every long ride I did in prep for the Whiskey 50 this year helped make the 50 more manageable. In 2013 I did the 25 proof (3:42) and finished that in a mess. Cramps, total exhaustion and had to lay on the ground to recover. My 50 this year was much easier on me despite the weather and distance. I attribute that to good base fitness and few long rides thrown in. Each of my long rides gave me something I could use for the next one. I could go through the list of things I learned, but that would bore most of you here.

So I don't think all the training rides need to push out to the distance/time, but I do feel it is important to get a few that approach it at the least just to learn. Personally I have never done a relay race where you ride a for 2 hrs, rest and then do it again and repeat for a few hrs. Frankly I am not sure how my body will react to getting back out for effort 2 after resting. All my riding is in one sitting so to speak. So I would probably want to do a 2hr fast pace ride. Then sit for 2-3 hrs, and then the 2hr fast pace ride again in training to understand how my body reacts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts