Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm borrowing my boyfriend's sign in to post this. He's the SS. I roll a hard tail of the newly mentioned "mullet" fame. I did a search to see if I could get some info on the upcomming whiskey off road and only saw postings from before last years race. There was quite a debate on the level of difficulty. Bottom line- I'm not trying to do this at race pace. I'm a decent rider and have done a fair variety of trails around Phx. Longest ride to date is about 30 miles. Longest ascent about 3000 feet over 7+ miles (did this very slowly- even walked some). Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that will be averaging a 5 hour race so that I know I won't be alone in the rear of the pack. :(

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Ok, first is a long gradual climb on asphault and hardpacked graded road. Climb about 1200 vertical, but it's a gradual climb spread out over many miles.

Next comes the only real hard part IMO, trail 48. This consists of many short and steep ups and downs. Milege isn't very long, like maybe 3 miles or so, but it's slow and there are some technical climbs. It's all ridable, although for a couple of the climbs you need to be turning a larger gear up a fairly loose slope and getting your body+bike up and over a few waterbars. It's doable and I've done it, but I usually don't do it every time I ride it. This trail only tops out at 6800, so that's only 300 feet of vertical from where the trail started at the road (6500) but it's a lot of up and down and it takes it's toll. This is the end of the hard climbing though.

Next you start descending, a little down trail 48. Notice the waterbar on the switchback where everybody has been going AROUND the waterbar, which has created erosion and a washout that has made the waterbar much deeper and created a big rut past it. Thank you cyclists with more ego than skills. After a couple little technical sections on the descent it opens up and you start picking up speed on trail 260, which takes you down to highway 89. This is loose and fast. No real "fun factor" as it's just too loose to be fun and there's no real technical sections. Total vertical drop is around 1400.

Next is the gradual climb back up to the saddle below Mt Francis (top of Copper Basin Road). This is actually two roads, but it's all a climb. Climb from 5400 up to 6700, that's 1300 vertical feet. This is a very gradual and pretty easy climb for the most part, great stuff for singlespeeding.

At the top of Copper basin you turn left and head out on the ridge to the overlook, where you take a singletrack trail, after a 40 foot hike-a-bike (yeah, only 40 feet) you get on a short singletrack that only lasts about a half mile, then you start descending on a fire road, and there are a few ups and downs but it is mostly down. You intersect fireroad 51 eventually, turn left, and intersect fireroad 332 for a short climb up(~150 vert, 1/2 mile), which takes you up to fireroad 326. Fireroad 326 starts out flat and becomes singletrack descent in about a half mile to 3/4ths of a mile, which lasts almost for a whopping mile. Then you are dumped out on thumb butte road, where it's all downhill to around whipple street, where it's flat the rest of the way to the finish.

You can probably do this ride just fine, just two major things to watch out for IMO; Not pushing too hard on the first road-climb so that you are wasted by the time you get to trail 48, and not going too hard on trail 48 that it completely kills your energy level. Remember that after trail 48 there's a long descent and a gradual climb after that, but going directly from the climb on the hardpacked road to trail 48 can hurt you, there's a killer climb at the beginning of trail 48. Pace yourself correctly here and you'll probably survive the rest of the ride ok. The descent down doesn't require much leg power, the gradual climb back to the top is easy, and the descent down the thumb butte trails/fireroads is easy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. i would feel so much better if i could get up there to preride the course but I think you gave me the next best thing. Thanks again.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Nice description of the 25 - exactly how I remember it

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Jm. said:
At the top of Copper basin you turn left and head out on the ridge to the overlook, where you take a singletrack trail, after a 40 foot hike-a-bike (yeah, only 40 feet) you get on a short singletrack that only lasts about a half mile, then you start descending on a fire road, and there are a few ups and downs but it is mostly down. You intersect fireroad 51 eventually, turn left, and intersect fireroad 332 for a short climb up(~150 vert, 1/2 mile), which takes you up to fireroad 326. Fireroad 326 starts out flat and becomes singletrack descent in about a half mile to 3/4ths of a mile, which lasts almost for a whopping mile.
As usual, Jm. nails the description. Just a couple additional comments on the course:
1. That 40 ft hike-a-bike section across from the overlook has been replaced with a new prescott hiking club created S curve that is pretty gradual ie. no more hike-a-bike.
2. The fireroad after the overlook singletrack (and parts of 260) are very steep down and filled with babyheads, golf balls and the occasional dodgeball - all over sand and the ocassional rut. Some of these sections are more like surfing than riding, but just keep some, but not too much, momentum and it isn't too hard. I usually ride these sections with my chest on the saddle and just gently steer the front end.
3. 332 and the fireroad section of 326 are soul-killingly ugly right now - these are logging roads and they are thouroughly torn up and have ditches dug across the road for a 1mile stretch. (I guess the logging co figures if they create breeding grounds for the west nile virus, they won't have so many recreation users in their way of logging all of the old growth).
4. I ride these trails on my hardtail all the time (I live off Copper basin) and, while a FS bike makes dropping the waterbars on 48 more fun, the HT is fine for the whole course.

A note on energy conservation:
There is a creek crossing on Copper Basin road that is about 100 yards before the left that goes up the steep hill to 48. As Jm. notes, hammering up the road and then encountering this section can be a beatdown. So the trick is to get your heartrate down once you cross the creek.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Camping????

I am not gonna race the whiskey this year but was wondering if there is a camping spot where most of the bikers will be...I just plan to come out and cheer folks on, plus I would like to be camped around other bike personnel cuz those kinda of people are rad :D

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Dirdir said:
Jm, was your course outline of the 25 or 50 miler? Yuri has me confused.
Description is for the 25miler - the 50 you just add a long slog out and back to Skull Valley on dirt roads...

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
scanjok said:
I am not gonna race the whiskey this year but was wondering if there is a camping spot where most of the bikers will be...I just plan to come out and cheer folks on, plus I would like to be camped around other bike personnel cuz those kinda of people are rad :D
I think the majority of folks are hoteling but if you wanna camp and can get a spot at Granite Basin I'd go there. You can also try Lynx lake

·