Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Headed to AZ for the Whiskey 50 in a few weeks - really excited about this event, but have never ridden in Prescott.

Can anyone help out with tire recommendations, or any other special things to be aware of?

Can you get away with lighter tires like Racing Ralphs, or are there too many rocks and other puncture hazards?

I normally like to run lighter XC tires, but on endurance events will run a bit heavier tires if the course is rough.

Thanks,

Kirk

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
Ive never ridden in Prescott myself so maybe Im not the best resource, but I do live in AZ and personally I would never use a tire without sidewall protection and sealant. Other than that pic your tread of choice. I have used Maxxis Ardent EXO's with great success.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ralphs with the snakeskin sidewall will be fine (I've run them in the Whiskey), but personally I'd avoid the lighter version. I'm guessing the top guys run light tires, that's the gamble you make if you think you can hit the podium.

For me it's the Racing Ralph/Nobby Nic combo both with snakeskin, and sealant for sure as there are cactus lurking.

Lots of dirt road spinning on the 50, so rolling resistance is important.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wouldn't run light tires personally. Very rocky descents and pretty rough terrain for the course in certain sections. I recently road it and sliced a sidewall like a knife. I would recommend something more aggressive with protected sidewalls like EXO maxxis tires. I am running a minion DHF and DHR for the race. Better to have protection and be a bit heavier than fixing a flat during a race, IMO.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Hello everyone,

Headed to AZ for the Whiskey 50 in a few weeks - really excited about this event, but have never ridden in Prescott.

Can anyone help out with tire recommendations, or any other special things to be aware of?

Can you get away with lighter tires like Racing Ralphs, or are there too many rocks and other puncture hazards?

I normally like to run lighter XC tires, but on endurance events will run a bit heavier tires if the course is rough.

Thanks,

Kirk
Outside of one rocky descent, you can get away with lighter tires. However, it's definitely a risk. I guess the question is, is it one you're worth taking. Almost half of the race will be on smooth fireroad or double track, so you're going to want a fast roller.

I ride a Bronson on the front, and have a Saguaro on the rear, but am swapping it out for an IKON on race day (because the Saguaro is kaput).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am in for the fun and surviving, not going to be anywhere near the front, so some sidewall protection (and maybe an extra half scoop of stans) will be in order it sounds like.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For a race the length and time that it takes to complete, don't run a real racey tire.
Something with a stronger sidewall should be good. Geax Saguaro or AKA is great for the rear since most of your time is spent on gravel roads.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Sidewall protection makes sense but this is a pretty tame XC course. Mostly riding on dirt with few rocky parts. Last year I rode the 50 with Spesh captain 29x2.2 in front and Ground control 2.1 in grid casing in the back. I just don't see a reason for all mountain tires on this course. When you do the hour long climb out skull valley you will feel every gram of the rotational weight. That's pretty much accelerating for over 10 miles.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sidewall protection makes sense but this is a pretty tame XC course. Mostly riding on dirt with few rocky parts. Last year I rode the 50 with Spesh captain 29x2.2 in front and Ground control 2.1 in grid casing in the back. I just don't see a reason for all mountain tires on this course. When you do the hour long climb out skull valley you will feel every gram of the rotational weight. That's pretty much accelerating for over 10 miles.
agreed. No need for a big fat dh/am tire. I currently run an Ardent 2.4 in the front, due to being rigid. I will probably bump down to a spec GC 2.3 and a 2.1(rear).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Many folks around Prescott ride the Ardent EXO in a 2.4 or 2.2. I like the Conti Mountain King II 2.4 personally as they seem to hook up better in the loose DG over hard pack that covers many of our trails.

That said...last forecast was for a bit of rain late next week which would be perfect for trail conditions and creek crossings;-).

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
many folks around prescott ride the ardent exo in a 2.4 or 2.2. I like the conti mountain king ii 2.4 personally as they seem to hook up better in the loose dg over hard pack that covers many of our trails.

That said...last forecast was for a bit of rain late next week which would be perfect for trail conditions and creek crossings;-).
^^^you mother****er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
How about tire pressure? Running tubeless of course, would you up the tire pressure because of all the road riding? I usually run about 25-28 PSI tubeless - Tiogo Psycho Genius 2.2

·
Got a suspension fork
2,447 Posts
I wouldn't run light tires personally. Very rocky descents and pretty rough terrain for the course in certain sections. I recently road it and sliced a sidewall like a knife. I would recommend something more aggressive with protected sidewalls like EXO maxxis tires. I am running a minion DHF and DHR for the race. Better to have protection and be a bit heavier than fixing a flat during a race, IMO.
Did I run into you asking for a spare tube not far after Sierra Prieta?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Run about normal. Too much and you might be spinning the rear on some of the fire road sections if you get out of the saddle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts