Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who is all in this year for the Whiskey Off Road?

I've decided to do the big girl mileage and went for the 50. Not gonna break any speed records but would like to be back in around 5 hrs.

Oh yeah, my Prescott friends, will you keep me posted on when I'm able to do any kind of preride? Would like to practice that one sketchy descent, the one where any carnage happens. (dont know name of the trail sorry)

Tiff

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I will be there... crashed on the scary decent last year and managed a concussion and sprained neck, but took care of it after the race with about 12 hours on Whiskey Row!

Such a great event and fun time every year, I can't wait!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the 25 mile... still debating it though. Never done the Whiskey (last year did the 35 ToWM and it kicked my butt) though. Can anyone give me an idea of what the course is like?

·
livin' the dream......
1,951 Posts
Never done this, but plan on registering for the 50. Only been to Prescott 1x (lame, I know). Interested in camping options and have been on the USFS website, anyone with more local knowledge? Suggestions?

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
ECEGatorTuro said:
I've been thinking about doing the 25 mile... still debating it though. Never done the Whiskey (last year did the 35 ToWM and it kicked my butt) though. Can anyone give me an idea of what the course is like?
The 25 proof is actually closer to 29 miles. You climb and climb and then you descend and descend, and then you climb and climb and then descend and descend.

It is an awesome course, but it is a very hard 29 miles. The first time I actually got tired from going downhill.

I'm going to do it again this year, but I'm going to be better prepared. I did the 25 last year coming off a year long injury and I wasn't in the best of shape, but I thought, "It's only 25 miles."

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,438 Posts
I'm going to probably do the 25 again, way too much road riding in the 50, but they've done a lot in the past years to make the 25 better/more singletrack.

If you want an idea of how it can be, there was some poor guy barely turning the cranks up 53 (which does admittedly get pretty steep at the top), and I said to him, "You're almot at the top!..............................and then the climbing begins!"

Trail 48 will make you or break you, there are a bunch of small steep climbs that simply rob lots of energy. They are usually only a few hundred yards long, yet they are very steep. Knowing what to attempt and what not to (waterbars) on this trail makes a difference IMO.

Then you hold on for dear life during the descent, then simply go into long-distance pedal-your-ass-off mode because it's a long way back to the Sierra Prieta overlook, but not terribly steep/hard. Then hold on again during some milder (but still fast and rough) descending. Then singletrack, then back on the road and pedal your ass off once again back into town.

I fell on the milder downhill when I was doing an outside ricky-bobby pass, but still managed 7th. Good times.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
Jayem said:
I'm going to probably do the 25 again.
I won't be participating this year.

I would advise those racing not to hike all day in the Grand Canyon the day prior to this ride.

I hear talk amongst the rumor mill of getting a bunch of local SS deities to dominate the 25. Maybe true, maybe not.....?

·
livin' the dream......
1,951 Posts
Jayem-Is the out & back to skull valley on a road or trail? Based on what you said, thinking road???

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,438 Posts
Enel said:
Dirt road:thumbsup:
Well, graded road...not dirt road in the sense of doubletrack.

·
Registered
306 Posts
tjkm said:
Never done this, but plan on registering for the 50. Only been to Prescott 1x (lame, I know). Interested in camping options and have been on the USFS website, anyone with more local knowledge? Suggestions?
The forest service opens a couple campgrounds early just to accommodate the race. White Spar Campground just south of town would be my recommendation - and it will fill up. It's a very nice, clean campground only 2.4 miles from the start line, Whiskey Row, etc. It also has a network of trails behind it . For hotels, it seems the mountain bike community has adopted the Motor Lodge on Montezuma as a prime spot. It's crawling distance from Whiskey Row and/or the finish line, however you like your devastation.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Roverbiker said:
For hotels, it seems the mountain bike community has adopted the Motor Lodge on Montezuma as a prime spot. It's crawling distance from Whiskey Row and/or the finish line, however you like your devastation.
I booked in it the The Motor Lodge last week and they only had five rooms left for race weekend. Great place to stay, so you might want to book soon if they haven't sold out yet!

I will be racing the 50 as long as my latest batch of crash related injuries will let me get back on the mountain for some decent training!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Racing my age, 50-proof, first time whiskey, with Robert and John from Durango.
What would you recommend preriding a few weeks before?--the skull valley climb? the gnarly downhill? anything else?
Just want to finish in reasonable time, without wading it up, and have enough left for the party afterward.
Rob

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would recommend pre-riding the entire 25 course... and skip the road down to skull valley that is added for the 50. The 25 course is really fun and includes all the best parts of the race.

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
Enel said:
I hear talk amongst the rumor mill of getting a bunch of local SS deities to dominate the 25. Maybe true, maybe not.....?
Ugh. Oh I was talking big back in November, but if I jump into the 25 next month, there will be far more abomination than domination. Anyone have a girdle I can borrow?

Tobias is going to be a marked man, though. Homie's tired of getting 2nd! And we've got at least 6 Preskit guns poised to place in the Top 10.

·