Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a light duty FR bike, I have grand visions of me riding my white 6 Pack built with a Fox 36 fork beating all of my freinds up and down the trails even though they are all younger, stronger and faster riders than I, plus they all ride bikes with more travel, bench racing at its finest! But until then I need something to ride. I do have my 575, but I want something else more like the 6 Pack, though it will be temporary, a bike with 6 or so inches of travel, able to take a 6" fork probably a Z1 FR becuase the Fox wont be around for a while, and some tougher trailbike parts.
A couple of the frames I have been thinking about is the Azonic Saber and the Titus Supermoto. I would like to stick to the FSR link bikes so the ride simularities will remain the same as the Turner, plus all the parts I use I will be able to transferr to the 6 Pack as well, wheels, drive train and cockpit.

So what do you guy's think?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Why not just buy a turner RFX now? There's a few available used, It's nearly identical to the 6-pack, and you will save yourself a lot of money (some of which you could spend on a custom paint job).

Put a Z150 on there, or the already available 2005 150mm Z1, it's perfection.

ride red said:
I need a light duty FR bike, I have grand visions of me riding my white 6 Pack built with a Fox 36 fork beating all of my freinds up and down the trails even though they are all younger, stronger and faster riders than I, plus they all ride bikes with more travel, bench racing at its finest! But until then I need something to ride. I do have my 575, but I want something else more like the 6 Pack, though it will be temporary, a bike with 6 or so inches of travel, able to take a 6" fork probably a Z1 FR becuase the Fox wont be around for a while, and some tougher trailbike parts.
A couple of the frames I have been thinking about is the Azonic Saber and the Titus Supermoto. I would like to stick to the FSR link bikes so the ride simularities will remain the same as the Turner, plus all the parts I use I will be able to transferr to the 6 Pack as well, wheels, drive train and cockpit.

So what do you guy's think?

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
I think you have a wicked case of newbikeitis. i thought I had it bad....sheeeesh. :)

Seems to me, Red, that if the pack is the bike for you then just wait it out. You'll spend a lot of money on a "bridge" bike and that 575 ain't exactly a Huffy.

Be patient....
interesting tidbit. I met Darren from PUSH yesterday while he was here visiting CO. He advised me to seriously consdier an RP3 for my Pack & having it PUSH'd. Said he could pretty much replicate the DHX feel and a pound & half weight savings. He has a Moment built to under 28# which is impressive when one considers that the frame is almost the same weight as the Pack.

·
aka greyranger
507 Posts
6 pack vs x-5

The Squeaky Wheel said:
I think you have a wicked case of newbikeitis. i thought I had it bad....sheeeesh. :)

Seems to me, Red, that if the pack is the bike for you then just wait it out. You'll spend a lot of money on a "bridge" bike and that 575 ain't exactly a Huffy.

Be patient....
interesting tidbit. I met Darren from PUSH yesterday while he was here visiting CO. He advised me to seriously consdier an RP3 for my Pack & having it PUSH'd. Said he could pretty much replicate the DHX feel and a pound & half weight savings. He has a Moment built to under 28# which is impressive when one considers that the frame is almost the same weight as the Pack.
Do you know how much a 6 pack with a rp3 vs the x-5 with a rp3 will weigh in a med?

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
6-Pack is listed at 8.8 lbs in the Turner catalog with the DHX.
Per the '05 Fox catalog, the DHX is listed at 0.88 lbs which is a bogus number because it doesn't include the spring. RP3 is listed at 0.43 lbs. So what does the spring weigh? I estimate a standard non-Ti spring weighs a pound.
So, by these numbers the 6-Pack with an RP3 will be just over 7 lbs.

I don't know the X-5 numbers off the top of my head, but it'd estimate it to be 1/2-3/4 lb lighter with an RP3.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
redranger said:
Do you know how much a 6 pack with a rp3 vs the x-5 with a rp3 will weigh in a med?
Two bikes really arent comparable, the 6-pack is a freeride bike with a chainguide mount, slacker geometry and dual crown compatible. The X5 is more of a trailbike. If you want/need a 6-pack then weight should not be a primary concern, although you could build it slightly light and still durable.
I plan to go Fox 36 and Crossmax XL, with a back up heavy duty wheelset for the gravity runs, but I am pretty light a 150 with gear. That way you could wind the front down an inch for the singletrack and wind it up for the downhills. Also a bike I could take dirt jumping and shuttle run with a 7" dual crown up front, perfect!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I was seriously blown away by the quality of travel on my friends 575 w/ rp3, so much so that I haven't been happy with my romic since.

I'll be looking for an RP3 this spring, for my RFX.....

The Squeaky Wheel said:

Be patient....

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
I agree in essence, but the thought of a sub 31# 6-Pack with an PUSH'd RP3 & PUSH'd Fox 36 is very tempting and would, by no means, not be suitable for agressive riding.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Be patient....
Amazing how far air shocks and shocks in general have come the past few years, but an air shock on a FR bike? That's hard to beleive it could perform as well as a high quality coil on a big hit bike, don't think I would go with an air only for that bike, but having one as a backup for trail riding or big climbing days would be cool.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Plan B could be:

Buy a lightly used RFX now, there's still time for a week-long sunny honeymoon in Az. or utah with your new baby, using the money you saved!

I hate to sound negative but hear me out, just for kicks....

Word is early spring for the Fox36 to be available OE. That means it's going to be late spring/early summer before it's available to guys like us, and full retail at that. Roughly the same weight&travel as the 2005 150mm Z1 (available now), air sprung instead of coil,and a few hundred bucks more. I still remember my friend who waited for an early talus, paid full retail, only to have to send it back 3 times in one summer.

As for RFX vs. 6-pack, there's ~1lb weight difference, shock, and slight geometry differences. From what Jorgen posted, I think I like the RFX geometry slightly better, at least for my use. Anyways the differences are pretty subtle, but 6-packs will be about $600 more than mint RFX frames are going for.

So you're looking at about $1000 difference and 2-6 months extra for the 6-pack.
Ride now, or wait and spend.... whats the saying, "a bush in the woods is worth three in hand"?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I agree in essence, but the thought of a sub 31# 6-Pack with an PUSH'd RP3 & PUSH'd Fox 36 is very tempting and would, by no means, not be suitable for agressive riding.
Hey my freind, you might be wrong on that statement, air shocks and forks today are pretty amazing, I heard someone (cant remember who) say that he will be using a Fox 36 for hardcore freeriding this year. You might start seeing air more often in the future. The problem I had with air in the past was it just wasnt plush at all, man, not any more.
I think your on to something, Ive been thinking along the same lines, RP3 and a Fox 36, and after hearing what you said about the "Pushed" RP3 just makes it more promising.
It sure wont hurt having a DHX coil shock laying around though!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey red ride.. I think you misread squeakys post.. look again..

The Squeaky Wheel said:

·
Registered
58 Posts
i think what he was trying to say was "a pushed rp3 shock and 36 fork, would by no means be unsuitable for agressive riding"
god damn it yanks, if u want to use the english language, then be sure to use proper english grammer :p :D

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
tough crowd, tough crowd.
I tell ya' , I get no respect.

Thanks for the clarification folks.

What I want to say: The RP3, particularly if PUSH'd, and a Fox 36, particularly if PUSH'd, will be killer setup on the 6-Pack and it's precisely what I'm planning on doing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:

What I want to say: The RP3, particularly if PUSH'd, and a Fox 36, particularly if PUSH'd, will be killer setup on the 6-Pack and it's precisely what I'm planning on doing.

Sorry Squeaky, what can I say, Im just a hick from the hills who cant read! My only point was just to say, get those air componets, I think you will like it!
I would have never said that last year, riding on a 5th Air back to back with Romics has set me straight. I rode a few bikes at IB too with RP3's and those things are super plush!
Cant wait to try a "Push'd" shock!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
OK.. one more thing then.

I don't see much point of getting either shock pushed- the stock RP3 I rode was plusher than my coil-over romic, and had a better platform too. As for the fork, What would the point of getting that pushed be? There's certainly not much point in adding spv to a free-ride fork... most people I know (namely manitou owners) didn't even like spv forks for XC riding...

Anyways, seems to me you might want to get the bike, ride it, and see if it actually can be improved before you go throwing more money at it. Cause otherwise, your just spending a lot of money and shipping a lot of things around instead of riding your new dream bike.

Once again, just my .02c...

The Squeaky Wheel said:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the reason might only to have it done is just to have lighter weight of the air and the performance of the coil, but you might be right, the first bike I road with a RP3 I had to keep looking down to see if the shock didnt just blow all its air out, it was just that plush!
Fox 36, not me anyway, I dont like the platform in my forks, I wamt bump eating performance like butta!

I don't see much point of getting either shock pushed- the stock RP3 I rode was plusher than my coil-over romic, and had a better platform too. As for the fork, What would the point of getting that pushed be? There's certainly not much point in adding spv to a free-ride fork... most people I know (namely manitou owners) didn't even like spv forks for XC riding...

Anyways, seems to me you might want to get the bike, ride it, and see if it actually can be improved before you go throwing more money at it. Cause otherwise, your just spending a lot of money and shipping a lot of things around instead of riding your new dream bike.

Once again, just my .02c...[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts