Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a bike and am going to use XT thumbshifters. I'm going old school in most areas, except derailleurs.

On my other bike, there is an XTR front derailleur FD-M952 top swing, that works well with them. I'm told that some models don't work well with the amount of cable that is pulled with a thumbshifter. I've been looking on Ebay and see models, 950,52,53,60,61.

What is the difference between these models and which will work with thumbshifters?

Anyone have opinions about a rear derailleur, do most XTR models work with thumbies? I'm running an 8-speed cluster with it.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
pinguwin said:
I'm building a bike and am going to use XT thumbshifters. I'm going old school in most areas, except derailleurs.

On my other bike, there is an XTR front derailleur FD-M952 top swing, that works well with them. I'm told that some models don't work well with the amount of cable that is pulled with a thumbshifter. I've been looking on Ebay and see models, 950,52,53,60,61.

What is the difference between these models and which will work with thumbshifters?

Anyone have opinions about a rear derailleur, do most XTR models work with thumbies? I'm running an 8-speed cluster with it.

None of the options you mentioned will be any trouble and will work great. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you use 7 speed shifters with the 8 speed cassette.

·
Premium Member
48,237 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
None of the options you mentioned will be any trouble and will work great. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you use 7 speed shifters with the 8 speed cassette.
And friction shifters work with everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts