Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which model of the new XT rear works best with my old LX rapidfire shifters? I want my shift action to stay the same as always, but understand that some of the newer models work the other way.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
You'll need the M771. The Shadow (M772) has a higher rate return spring, so the upshifts are a little more defined than previous XTs. It's not an enormous difference, but you'll spot it if you're keen. The M770 is low-normal, or 'rapid-rise', and sits on the largest sprocket when in its 'neutral' position and so is pushed across to the higher gears.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteveUK said:
You'll need the M771. The Shadow (M772) has a higher rate return spring, so the upshifts are a little more defined than previous XTs. It's not an enormous difference, but you'll spot it if you're keen. The M770 is low-normal, or 'rapid-rise', and sits on the largest sprocket when in its 'neutral' position and so is pushed across to the higher gears.
---
Could I run the 772, because I would desire a more crisp shift.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
You can run all three XTs (or any Shimano derailleur for that matter) from any Shimano shifters. It's a Shimano, so I'm not sure if crisp will ever be a suitable description for the feel of the shift. If you want obvious, defined shifts, then you might want to consider a SRAM 1:1 set-up (X-series); for clean and smooth, stay with Shimano. Although the M772 is certainly a little snappier on the up-shifts, it's still very, very clean through the cassette. I'm using the M772 with the XTR M970 shifter and the shifting is seemless. On a close ration Ultegra cassette I used to need to check that I'd actually changed gear; now I just enjoy the ride.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I've been running the "standard" Shimano dérailleurs for years and just recently switched to a XT Shadow model. All I have to say is wow,
why didn't they do this sooner!
The Shadow models are a very noticeable improvement when riding in technical terrain. The shifts are crisper and there is no banging around on the chainstay. The chainslap has been minimized as well.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The Shadow, like all derailleurs, is tuned from the shifter. It's a good practice to learn tuning your derailleurs from the shifters; it means that you can set it up whilst riding the bike, especially useful for folk on full suspension, and if you need to make adjustments on the trail you can do so without having to stop, let alone get off and start fiddling around.

·
What could go wrong ...
1,996 Posts
"The Shadow, like all derailleurs, is tuned from the shifter."

Thanks for the info ... but of the 6 rear derailleurs I have, the new 771 is the only one that doesnt have an adjuster on it and I would never attempt to try and spin a barrel adjuster at the shifter while i was in motion ... but hey if it works for you

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I recognise that the Shadow is the only Shimano design without the barrel adjuster (I use one), my point is that any derailleur (of which I've used a few) can be adjusted solely from the shifter. SRAM derailleurs are are all minus a derailleur barrel. Just because you wouldn't attempt to adjust your gears while on the move, doesn't mean that it's not possible or advisable; quite the contrary is the case. Why on Earth do you suppose it would/could be problematic?

·
What could go wrong ...
1,996 Posts
well i have an Ipod in one hand and an Iphone in the other, how am I supposed to turn the thing anyway .... just kidding ... its not that I have to adjust it a lot anyway I just wondered why they took the adjuster off ... I am sure I will adapt to having to adjust it at the shifter
and the 772 is the shadow but the 771 is not

OK I simply put a Avid Rollamajig on there and presto I have a barrel adjuster now

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
Ldog, what rear derailleur are you using? if you have already forgotten the model number, look closely at the derailleur and you should be able to see the model number.

you mentioned:
" ... I want my shift action to stay the same as always ... "

so you have know whether it is currently a low-normal or high-normal? when you release the spring tension in your derailleur ... ie activating the rear/behind/furthest from you as you sit on the bike, lever, in which direction does you chain go to? ie largest sprocket or smallest, if it is the largest, then you currently have a low-normal derailleur ... otherwise vice versa ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.