Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm ready to buy a Minute fork for my Straight 6, coil sprung bike. I lean toward the Minute 1 because it's coil too and I've heard of more problems with the 3 which is air. Anything I haven't considered?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
artnshel said:
I think I'm ready to buy a Minute fork for my Straight 6, coil sprung bike. I lean toward the Minute 1 because it's coil too and I've heard of more problems with the 3 which is air. Anything I haven't considered?
The advantages of the Minute 3 is that it's lighter and it's easier to change spring rates with air. The Minute 1 is more adjustable in terms of travel setting but you have to get the right spring for your weight.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I agree with HB. I have ridden both and the infinite spring rate adjustability on the 3 allows you to use any SPV pressure you want. There is only a narrow range of SPV I could use with the 1 without going to a different spring (which do not come shipped with the fork, unlike Fox) because the SPV pressure acts as a spring assist.

On the other hand, the travel adjustment on the 3 is total crap. It is on the bottom of the leg. If I had a 5 foot long left arm I guess I'd feel differently, but as is I think the feature is useless. If you aren't ever going to change travel, get the 3. If you want to change the travel sometimes, get the 1.

In 05 the Platinum versions get bar mounted travel adjusters. That totally changes the equation.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,652 Posts
I agree as well, but have a different recommendation...

tscheezy said:
I agree with HB. I have ridden both and the infinite spring rate adjustability on the 3 allows you to use any SPV pressure you want. There is only a narrow range of SPV I could use with the 1 without going to a different spring (which do not come shipped with the fork, unlike Fox) because the SPV pressure acts as a spring assist.

On the other hand, the travel adjustment on the 3 is total crap. It is on the bottom of the leg. If I had a 5 foot long left arm I guess I'd feel differently, but as is I think the feature is useless. If you aren't ever going to change travel, get the 3. If you want to change the travel sometimes, get the 1.

In 05 the Platinum versions get bar mounted travel adjusters. That totally changes the equation.
...if you never want to change travel, get the Minute 2- lightest of the three Minutes, available in either 100mm or 130mm (non-adjustable), and cheaper than the Minute 3. Best of both worlds.

I ride the Minute 2 since I never change travel anyway, and have been very satisfied with it. Lots of flexibility in setup.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tscheezy said:

I bought a Minute 1 on ebay today for $300. There's a seller who lists a few 1's and 3's every weekend for short 3 day auctions. I do value travel adjustment and didn't go with the vanilla partially because of it. I didn't know the spv presure adjustment would be limited on the 1 but I wanted coil version anyway and heard of people having trouble getting enough sag with the air 3's. The SPV is a bonus to me more for the anti dive than anti bob, and to match my Pushed Vanilla R in back. I weight 175 with gear, will the stock Minute 1spring let me turn the spv down to get supple action?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've been running the Minute 3 for the whole year. It works great in the 100mm setting but in the 130mm there is a lot of deflectional flex.

100mm = good :p
130mm = bad :mad:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
artnshel said:
I weight 175 with gear, will the stock Minute 1spring let me turn the spv down to get supple action?
I weigh 195 with gear and with a really low SPV pressure (~30 psi) the fork dove and wallowed more than my Vanilla. With the SPV up at about 70psi the fork was super tall, no sag, and very uncompliant. I settled at about 40psi and cranked the bottomout knob in a bit. It takes a while to find the spot which works best for you. I think the fork ships with a medium spring in it which is about right for my weight, but may be stiff for you. Either you can drop the SPV pressure way down to compensate (unlike the rear shock, SPV in forks seems to act like a spring assist) or you need to look for a softer spring. There is supposedly an inner spring inside the wind-down spring you can remove to soften things up. not sure, I never tore the fork apart. If you can't find a setting to your liking, you can get other springs through Manitou. This has been a real issue here for some people since their forks shipped with whatever spring fell off the shelf at Answer, and aftermarket replacements were hard to find.

Search under Homebrew's handle for minute 1 info.(e.g. search for "homebrew minute"). He has covered all this exhaustively and very well.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tscheezy said:
I weigh 195 with gear and with a really low SPV pressure (~30 psi) the fork dove and wallowed more than my Vanilla. With the SPV up at about 70psi the fork was super tall, no sag, and very uncompliant. I settled at about 40psi and cranked the bottomout knob in a bit. It takes a while to find the spot which works best for you. I think the fork ships with a medium spring in it which is about right for my weight, but may be stiff for you. Either you can drop the SPV pressure way down to compensate (unlike the rear shock, SPV in forks seems to act like a spring assist) or you need to look for a softer spring. There is supposedly an inner spring inside the wind-down spring you can remove to soften things up. not sure, I never tore the fork apart. If you can't find a setting to your liking, you can get other springs through Manitou. This has been a real issue here for some people since their forks shipped with whatever spring fell off the shelf at Answer, and aftermarket replacements were hard to find.

Search under Homebrew's handle for minute 1 info.(e.g. search for "homebrew minute"). He has covered all this exhaustively and very well.
Thanks, I found two especially good topics, one on sag and the other on oil level. You and Homebrew have done a good job figuring out these forks. However after reading the sag thread I realize that going with a 1 over a 3 may not help me avoid some of the challenges. Oh well it's still coil and has a more convienient travel adjust. I can't wait to see what color my spring is!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
artnshel said:
Thanks, I found two especially good topics, one on sag and the other on oil level. You and Homebrew have done a good job figuring out these forks. However after reading the sag thread I realize that going with a 1 over a 3 may not help me avoid some of the challenges. Oh well it's still coil and has a more convienient travel adjust. I can't wait to see what color my spring is!
I did change the oil but didn't take the RTWD apart to see what spring is in there. However, it's probably the medium spring though. I'm about the same weight as you and it's fine for me. I get okay sag and full travel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts