• Other

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Tire Geek O_o
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the background,

I posses a ´08 Giant Reign 0, it is a very nice bike as it is, though I have started to get bored and since I have no money to change it, and since I also love it, I ´d like to throw some upgrades on it.

And one of the upgrades is to get some practical functional bling on the wheelset. As you know the Reign 0 ´08 is sort of a sand color, therefore I dont know where i got the idea that maybe some white wheels would look great on it.

My stock wheels (WTB Laserdisc) have held fine, no problems whatsoever till now..

to my riding:
I normally do climbs ( 10Km climbs with 200 to 400 metes in height diff, and some very steep parts), and most of the times riding down means: techy trails, rocky, with lots of steps, wholes, small jumps and drops, etc. And sometimes I hit the DH sections (of course I dont drop high or fly big, I hit the chicken passes ;-) ) .

Therefore I am looking for a "light" (not XC spandex light) wheels that wont make me cry on steep climbs, but strong (not DH heavy strong) to withstand rough stuff including rock gardens.

I have read some reviews and since I am a newbie to wheels i only got confused, so far i have read about;

- Easton Haven
- Sun Pro Charger (so far they sound quite convincingly :thumbsup: )
- Revolution 28 & 32 (like the look and the price) :D
- Spank Subrosa
- Gravity Lite
- and Syncros DS28 (which look actually nice :cool: )

I would probably try to swap the 2008 Fox Talas 140 , for a 2011 150mm Talas or Lyrik with 15 through axle. I haven't tried through axles, but from an engineering point of view it just make sense to have thru axles for more stiffness/security.

I will any pointers, links, tips, tutorials, step by step guides :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would suggest that you figure out what hub you want, Hadley, would be my recommendation. Find a good wheel builder and have them build you a set. I would not recommend a pre-built wheelset...

·
Tire Geek O_o
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am located in Mex City right now, finding parts is completely impossible, ordering online means dealing with customs (and they are nasty down here) and there are no well known builders, heck mechanics here struggle with the simple stuff. Sometimes I wish I could take an intensive mechanics course (I am kind of a do it myself man unless i completely trust the other person, but even if I had the skills , I have no place nor the equipment) ... I seriously doubt they can actually build them from scratch...

I am no expert rider, I just want something problem free for as long as possible.

·
Registered
488 Posts
cesalec said:
I have read some reviews and since I am a newbie to wheels i only got confused, so far i have read about;
Take a look at the Hope Hoops wheelset, Pro2 with ZTR Flow rim, DT Competition spokes. May be just what you need.
Mine came in 986g rear, 867g front. Strong enough (Flow is positioned as an AM rim), not so heavy, not expensive. The hubs are convertible to a number of axle standards. Factory built wheels and no proprietary parts at the same time.
Also, Flow, being a relatively light rim, is also wide enough, so suitable for wides tires which is cool for AM.

(I'm not sure if it's possible to find them anywhere offline in your area though)

·
Registered
258 Posts
if you ask me, all of your choices sound solid.

my suggestion is you look at the Halo Freedom Disc instead of the Syncors DS28, they are the exact same rims but cheaper. my 29er wheels are based on that rim laced to XT hubs and they are bomber.

of course i realized you are limited to what you could find in your area, tough call.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the revolution 32 - solid wheel but they are real heavy. I just set up a new set of Stan's flows with DT Swiss 240s and revolution spokes. These hubs are so silky and fast it's unbelievable. I can pump through some sections I used to have to climb because these wheels are 2lbs lighter and much faster hubs. Go as good as you can with the hubs i say.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
I run a set of sun SOS's laced to a set of xt's and I'm a big guy 6'4" 235 and I ride hard and have had no problem with em yet dispite the crap reviews they got on here "they bend like hot metal" someone wrote..... For a good AM/XC rim they are great! And cheap!

·
Tire Geek O_o
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the Hope Pro 2 for quite a good price, it seems the DT Swiss 240s are much much better, at least much more expensive.

As I understand both these are for XC /AM, right I mean the big fat ones are for the DH rigs?

As I said, I am a total newbie on this, never paid attention to my wheelset until the last week when I realized how boring it looks, and I truly dont need to change the whole bike. =P

·
Registered
546 Posts
cesalec said:
I found the Hope Pro 2 for quite a good price, it seems the DT Swiss 240s are much much better, at least much more expensive.

As I understand both these are for XC /AM, right I mean the big fat ones are for the DH rigs?

As I said, I am a total newbie on this, never paid attention to my wheelset until the last week when I realized how boring it looks, and I truly dont need to change the whole bike. =P
Hope pro 2's are on my Dh bike right now. Both the hope and DT hubs are solid, hope is lighter.

·
dude
407 Posts
Here's one vote for the revolutions.

Although if you're wanting light, but not XC light, you might want to consider the 25's and 28's and not the 32's. I've ridden both a set of 25's and 28's (Replaced the 25's on warranty) and have been really happy with the 28's now. Got them in white for a little flash. I mostly switched to the wider rim for better tire profile - the 25's took plenty of beatings with jumps and drops.

The new revolution front hubs are now adaptable to any hub you want. 9mm QR, 15mm-thru and 20mm-thru.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah I would agree the Revolution 28s are a great wheel for the price. Even the 32s roll fine, just heavy. The Hope hubs are great and at an awesome price. DT 240s are definitely lighter but just by a hair.

If you like working on bikes why not buy all the parts and learn to build up the wheels? Personally I think it's fun to work on the bike in the office when I get up from the desk or in the garage with a beer. You can learn everything you need to know from some patience and research. Then you can build the ideal wheels for you and not pay for labor. Crush a rim and rebuild the wheel with a $70 new rim...

·
Tire Geek O_o
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would like to, but I dont have the space, nor the tools for it, and with the actual contractual situation is not easy to spend the money on the tools.

I was thinking on getting them from Red Barn Cycles, but it wont be this month:rolleyes:
things at work are changing and not for the good...

4 years of international consulting and I cannot afford :sad: all upgrades I´d like...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well get out there and ride and look at it like this - you will train yourself to climb with the heavier older wheels and it will make you a better rider. You get on some hopes or DTs in a year and you will be flying.

Good luck!

·
Tire Geek O_o
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bloo said:
if you ask me, all of your choices sound solid.

of course i realized you are limited to what you could find in your area, tough call.
I heard some guys down here, have ordered in Red Barn Cycles, and thee guys there are helpful so mexican customs cannot do much. And it would probably be better to get a hand built wheelset from them than here in Mexico.

If I stay, I problaby should open an specialized MTB boutique shop... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

·
Tire Geek O_o
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IJBCape said:
Yeah I would agree the Revolution 28s are a great wheel for the price. Even the 32s roll fine, just heavy. The Hope hubs are great and at an awesome price. DT 240s are definitely lighter but just by a hair.

If you like working on bikes why not buy all the parts and learn to build up the wheels? Personally I think it's fun to work on the bike in the office when I get up from the desk or in the garage with a beer. You can learn everything you need to know from some patience and research. Then you can build the ideal wheels for you and not pay for labor. Crush a rim and rebuild the wheel with a $70 new rim...
if you can point me to where i can find good enough information on what I need to do and which equipment, I might consider it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts