Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part accumulation continues and looking for a suitable wheelset. I am a non racer old guy who rides mostly flat fireroads albeit somewhat aggressively. I weigh 190#. I would like a mid-ish price point wheelset and like to not go over 2000 gram weight or so for the set. 28 spoke count OK for training wheels or is 32 better?
Can you provide advice what you have had personal good experience with...staying in true in particular?
Many Thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a set of WTB laser Disc 29ers that are great. They can be had for a good price and are super strong. In fact I am ordering another set for my new paragon in the next few weeks. They are 32 hole and are sub 2000g. Definatley check them out.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have a set of dt swiss 240s hubs built to x470 rims that I've been riding for about 2 years that have yet to be trued, or serviced in any way for that matter. I'm about 170lb without gear. I'd highly recommend them. Wheels come in about 1800 g, although slightly on the pricey side they've been bomb proof for me through miles of rocky, rooty north and south carolina trails and some racing.

Unfortunately that's all my experience with 29er wheels so I can't recommend anything else. Or to look at it another way, fortunately it's the only set I've needed so I'd highly recommend them.

Also the 36 step ratchet upgrade is cool and gets the engagement up if that's important to you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just had a wheel set nuilt for my 09 Cobia. Stans Flows, Hope Pro II, Sram 990 cassette, and DT Swiss 10mm thru bolt front and rear. They where built by Chad at Red Barn Bicycles

http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/home.html

To be honest I canot tell you the weight on the wheel set. But I can tell you that the price was very reasonable. The tires I added that wasn't part of the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
American Classics...1650g, no issues at all, love em'!!

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
For your requirements in a 29er wheel, a handbuilt Hope Pro II / Stans Arch set with 32 spokes by a reputable builder should be perfect. Your tire weights will vary more than you would save by having four less spokes. I have Arch/DT 240 wheels , but the DT offering is not a middle price point. I will likely get some Flow rims also, soon...but for what you describe Arch is a solid choice. I weigh 190 ( and growing now :madman: ) also. I would use Flows for more rocky terrain.

For "riding fire roads somewhat aggressively" I use my 'cross bike, but fire road means different things to different people. ;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
See if you can find a set of 08 Race X Lites on ebay, plenty light, plenty strong, DT Swiss hubs and cheep ($300.00 to $400.00). All the wheel you'll ever need at a great price and the most user friendly tubeless system out there.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys rock. Thanks for all the great advice.
Beautiful Paragon GT. Mine is gun metal grey with dark blue but the white maybe even prettier. Man that is a light wheelset.
Thanks again. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I second the DT X470 rims. I have a set built around Paul hubs on my ss I got from Orion Cycles and they've been great. This is on a fully rigid El Mariachi in lots of rocks and roots etc.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
What is your price range (mid-ish is kind of vuage around here).
For my back up wheels I built them up with Shimano LX hubs, DT Revolutions, brass nipples, and Sun EQ21 rims. Under 1800g.
So if you went with XT hubs, Stan arches or Sun EQ23's, DT comp spokes, and brass nipples, you'd have a reliable, serviceable, wheelset for about $350.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CB2 said:
What is your price range (mid-ish is kind of vuage around here).
For my back up wheels I built them up with Shimano LX hubs, DT Revolutions, brass nipples, and Sun EQ21 rims. Under 1800g.
So if you went with XT hubs, Stan arches or Sun EQ23's, DT comp spokes, and brass nipples, you'd have a reliable, serviceable, wheelset for about $350.
CB,
Is $350 for just parts or does that include the build? Where can I get a wheelset as you described? I don't make my own wheels.
Many Thanks.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Since I usually build my own stuff, and until recently had a parts hook up, I went to a website to get the price. I went to "Prowheelbuilder.com".
I know nothing about them, and was just using them to get an idea of price. For an XT/Stan's/DT wheelset their cost was $367.
I priced out a LX/Velocity Blunt/DT wheelset there too, which was lighter and under $300.
But again, I was just using them for a rough idea of price.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hat's off to you CB for building your own wheels as I am not that evolved. :) I know you will say that it isn't that much to it but that would be modest because there is...part art and part science to get it right with proper dishing etc. Perhaps some day I will buy a truing stand ;)...I do true my own wheels and like to build everything else. Thanks for the refereence. Does this site have a go to guy for building wheels per chance even though you don't buy from them?
Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts