Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a little incident with a front wheel......kinda bent it.

Anyway, I am looking for a replacement....I am going to go to disc (at least on the front for the time being) and I really have no idea what is what these days.

Ill be riding a 5 spot, and I would like to keep the wheels fairly light. I like to pedal uphills.

I can buy them prebuilt, or build them on my own. I weigh 175 lbs, and dont do real crazy drops or anything.

What do you reccomend?

Thanks

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
What Homebrew said.

But, if you want to go UST, then go with Mavic 819s. Also, at 175 if you go with the 819s you can save a little more weight by going with Supercomp triple butted spokes by DT-Swiss. From what I understand, the Mavic 819s are stiff enough to compensate for the added wheel flex you'd experience by going with lighter spokes.

Call Chad at http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/about.html

He'll take care of you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, but Im afraid that I neglected to mention my cost requirements.......Im looking to buy a front wheel only (or parts to make one mysself). Preferably under 250 bucks.

I think I might run disc on the front, and then go to the back when I break the wheel or the hub goes. I just cant throw away a prefectly good hub that has served me so well for so long (White industries hub, at least 7 years old).....

And looking at my colorado cyclist under chris king hubs.......ouch!!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mattsteve said:
Thanks for the help, but Im afraid that I neglected to mention my cost requirements.......Im looking to buy a front wheel only (or parts to make one mysself). Preferably under 250 bucks.

I think I might run disc on the front, and then go to the back when I break the wheel or the hub goes. I just cant throw away a prefectly good hub that has served me so well for so long (White industries hub, at least 7 years old).....

And looking at my colorado cyclist under chris king hubs.......ouch!!!

Thanks
Hope XC ($44 @ Jenson) or WTB Laser Lite disc ($80 if you look around)
Mavic 819 if you want to go tubeless. Alex FD28 for standard tires and tube and much lower cost.

You could build a 860g Laser Lite/FD28 front wheel with 14/15 spokes and alloy nipples for around $160.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks shiggy

Ive found the WTB front hub on ebay, but where can I find the FD 28 rim? What brand is that?

And where would be a good place to get the spokes?

Thanks for the help....this little project just got pulled to the front burner....I just found out that the bolt that holds the cable on my v brakes is stripped.......

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i'd recommend a Hope Bulb front hub laced to a DT EX5.1 rim. The cost on a project like this could be done for $185. Built for $210.

The nice thing about the Bulb front hub is that it is convertible, you can switch it from the traditional 9mm axle set-up to a 20mm thru axle with the 20mm kit. Who knows if you'll ever throw a suspension fork that uses thru-axle on that 5 Spot of yours, but if you do...you won't have to replace the wheel again. Just a thought.

later, Chad

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mattsteve said:
Thanks shiggy

Ive found the WTB front hub on ebay, but where can I find the FD 28 rim? What brand is that?

And where would be a good place to get the spokes?

Thanks for the help....this little project just got pulled to the front burner....I just found out that the bolt that holds the cable on my v brakes is stripped.......

Thanks!!!
Alex FD28. You can find both hub and rim at aebike.com

Chad has a point about the hub and I use a Bulb front for that reason (mainly with 20mm axle and useable on my other bikes with the QR). It will cost more and be heavier.

I go here for spokes:http://www.wheelbuilder.com/thumbnail.asp?offset=0&deep=1&cid=15

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty!

I found a bit of a deal, so I went with Hope XC disc, Mavic XM 719, and wheelbuilder spokes the nipples.

The folks at Jenson sold me the package, but I get home and find out that there are 4 spokes that are roughly 1 CM shorter than the rest. The guy said 261 mm.....the others are 261, but there are the 4 shorties.

Is 261 the right size for this wheel setup?

Not sure what I am going to do.........looks like Ill send these spokes back to jenson and buy some DT's at my LBS......?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mattsteve said:
Alrighty!

I found a bit of a deal, so I went with Hope XC disc, Mavic XM 719, and wheelbuilder spokes the nipples.

The folks at Jenson sold me the package, but I get home and find out that there are 4 spokes that are roughly 1 CM shorter than the rest. The guy said 261 mm.....the others are 261, but there are the 4 shorties.

Is 261 the right size for this wheel setup?

Not sure what I am going to do.........looks like Ill send these spokes back to jenson and buy some DT's at my LBS......?
Using the DT Swiss spoke calc 32 spoke, 3X
260mm left
263 right

You could go 262 right but I would not go shorter.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
mattsteve said:
Thanks for the fast reply!

Looks like they really goofed....I should have looked at the shop...

On to my LBS.

:cool:
Won't your LBS be bummed you bought on the internet and then show up for their service. I always feel somewhat guilty whenever I've got something new on my bike not purchased from my local shop.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
dulyebr said:
Won't your LBS be bummed you bought on the internet and then show up for their service. I always feel somewhat guilty whenever I've got something new on my bike not purchased from my local shop.
He is just going to walk in and buy spokes. Big deal.

Sounded like he physically walked into Jenson, too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, I am kinda torn about my LBShops....

Some are good with service, some are bad with service, but all have high prices.

I wish I could buy what I need in the shop with good service, but if I did I couldnt buy much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.