Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old ritchey girder OCR-SC wheelset has finally given up the ghost after 7 years of loyal service. They were great- stiff as far as i can tell, wide enough for the ~2.35's i run, and never gave me any trouble. I replaced the bearings twice and converted the front to 20mm. I have several 1/2" cracks in the rim bed that appeared after a long rocky descent yesterday.

This is for my DB mission i built up from a frame. I'm partial to Shimano hubs, especially in the rear, and need a 20mm front hub. I'm about 230-240lbs, and typically do about 4000' of climbing on a weekend ride to bomb back down. This bike gets used about 4x a month and i'll own it a long time.

I'm looking at These- Quando front hub, xt rear, mavic 321 rims and straight gauge spokes. The low price, familiar rims, and easily serviced hub is appealing. Dunno what they weigh, but it should be reasonable.
I'm also looking at Sunringle charger experts. I've had good luck with some cartridge bearing hubs, and i run tubeless tires, but the low spoke count and mid-range mystery parts make me wary.

Any other suggestions i appreciate, and while i pointed out some cheap wheels i can be convinced to spend more if they're gonna last longer.

Thanks a lot fellas!:thumbsup:

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
The XT hubs are descent especially the ones for centerlock rotors. The Hope Evo hubs have a more reliable freehub than the XT. I recommend the Stainless Steel freehub body option for an extra durable Hope Evo hub. For your type of riding you could benefit from some wider rims. The WTB Frequency i25's, Pacenti TL28, or Stan's Flow EX rims are a great choice. The quality of the build will affect the performance and life of your wheelset.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'd agree that Hopes with Flow EX rims are a great 6" bike wheel choice. I'd stay away from the WTB rims. They don't have the durability of the Flows.

Reactions: scottzg

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like both you guys think i should opt for flows. I can get them for ~350$ for a set. My fatness made me wary of them, and i already know how to set up tubeless just fine.

I've had enough irritation with wtb rims; my first two sets- speed disks, lived short lives, and lazerdisks were pretty much impossible to set up tubeless. Pro2s are not an option- too annoying. A buddy has a set, and i don't like riding downhill near him and his buzzing.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I follow your advice and got a flow EX wheelset, and i'm pretty happy. They accepted tubeless very easily, they're reasonably light, and feel nice and stable under me. The hubs are loud, but i'll get over it. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.