Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to tire-switch for city riding so I don't keep wearing down my 2.0 knobbies on the pavement. I'm not an urban assault rider or unusually hard on equipment...my goal is just to get around town and enjoy the ride. I'm using tubes. I'm not a weight weenie.

I might get on a dirt path from time to time with the street tires, but most riding with them mounted will be blacktop or concrete. I don't communte long distances. Some of my considerations are:

- resist glass and debris common to city riding.
- good handling (traffic is heavy around here).
- retain good cornering when the streets are wet, or even a little snowy.
- fat enough to protect my rims when hopping curbs, etc. ( I don't want to have to be extra-careful)
- easy to get on and off, and won't be damaged by frequent changes.

Any suggestions? BTW, if (relatively) skinny tires will do the job then I'll consider them.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Rollin' On said:
I want to tire-switch for city riding so I don't keep wearing down my 2.0 knobbies on the pavement. I'm not an urban assault rider or unusually hard on equipment...my goal is just to get around town and enjoy the ride. I'm using tubes. I'm not a weight weenie.

I might get on a dirt path from time to time, but most riding is on blacktop or concrete. I don't communte long distances. Some of my considerations are:

- fat enough to protect my rims when hopping curbs, etc. ( I don't want to have to be extra-careful)

Any suggestions? BTW, if (relatively) skinny tires will do the job then I'll consider them.
Check out the Maxxis tire site. They have a large variety of tires that should work in your enviroment. The 70a XC versions of the Larsen TT or the Larsen Oriflamme would be a good place to start.

1st pic is the TT; 2nd is the Oriflamme (pics lifted from Maxxis site)

Edit: just cliked the sponser link for Maxxis and Jenson has the Oriflamme for $14

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
i've just changed my tyres for the same reasons as you describe.

I went with Panaracer Speedblasters. They have some small soft round knobbles on them which still give you the grip on hard trails and forrest roads, but at the same time, they ride really well on tarmac.

I noticed immediately a much lower rolling resistance and cornering ability with them compared to my oother Panaracer Fire XC pros.

in fact i was cycling side by side with a road bike on really skinny tyres the other day and i was actually out rolling him going down hill.

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
I got a set of IRC Mythos XC Slicks earlier this summer. I am very happy with them for street (at 55 psi) and hardpack use (40 psi). No flats so far. Curb jumps have been no problem. BTW- My main use is street rides (5-10 mi 3X/wk) plus rides to an XC trail (4-5 mi street to the trail, 8 mi of moderate XC trail, then 4-5 mi street back home). These XC Slicks are reasonably smooth, seem to wear well so far, and are OK on the trail. Not the best tire for mud, but for dry hardpack they are fast and have decent grip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rollin' On said:

I might get on a dirt path from time to time with the street tires, but most riding with them mounted will be blacktop or concrete. I don't communte long distances. Some of my considerations are:

Given any thought to Specialized Armadillos? I think they have semi-slick models. They have kevlar woven into the casing. Flat resistance is awesome.

·
dirtbag
1,532 Posts
If you're running discs, I'd go with the Mavic Speedcity wheeset with the road tire of your choice. I've got a set that I put on my grocery getter for those quick beer or Blockbuster runs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try either the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo or the new Crossroads Armadillo. Both are almost impossible to puncture (through normal means), 1.95s, and work pretty well on hardpack trails also. The Hemisphere is more of a shallow inverted tread...the Crossroads has a continuous strip down the middle of the tire to faciliate rolling with knobs on the side for some cornering bite on hardpack. You can air them both up to 80 psi for the concrete (i find 55-60 sufficient) and down to 35 psi offroad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.