Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably get asked far too often for people to respond but here goes with fingers crossed.
Recently got a new Trek xc and not impressed with the tyres that it came with (Bontrager XR3 Comp, wire bead, 30tpi, 29x2.20 ) so looking for advice for best combo .
Live in uk 17st ex rugby player riding (not hammering,too old ) mixture of road and trails with trails being hard packed soil with gloopy patches now that winters approaching.Have to ride to the trails using road so split is 70/30 road/trail.Have looked all over for tyres mainly at Schwalbe and Maxis and still cannot fathom out which combo would be best.Would be grateful if people can give me some experienced advice on a combo.
Thanks.:unsure:

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
You don’t say what you don’t like about them and what you want different or improved. Tires are tradeoff. Maybe try a XR4 or XR5 front and burn through the XR3s for the rear.

· Registered
6,864 Posts
the Team Issue and SE versions of Bontrager tires have better rubber compounds than the Comp versions, but you will still have to compromise between road and muddy trails for the tread pattern. I had an XR3 Ti on the back and it was quite good except for mud, so I agree with you it's not ideal.
What other brands do you have available? Schwalbe and Continental have some tires with fairly versatile tread patterns, Nobby Nic, Rocket Ron, Mountain King, Cross King.
In the winter you may just need to use mud tires then switch over in the dry season.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most tyre brands available here in UK online even Vittoria been looking at the Vittoria Barzo tnt graphene which I can get for £36 each but not sure if it would be overkill or even be scrubbed too quick by the road riding?
I know it's a compromise I'm just trying to get the best compromise.:)

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2020 World Champion Jordan Sarrou used the Vittoria Barzo tnt graphene they have great reviews.The other is a Bontrager xr3 comp which my new Trek XCaliber 9 came with front and back.Front is fine but rear slides out unpredictabley on damp woodland conditions.

· Registered
Trek X-Caliber 9 2021 Stock
2 Posts
Hi, Oddball have you got the new tyre fitted and have you ridden it yet?

I have also just got a Trek X-Caliber 9 with the XR3 Comp tyres and on my maiden ride last weekend on a wet tarmac downhill I scared myself silly when I couldn't get the speed off and nearly dumped it into the hedge!

This is my first Disc Brake MTB upgrading from my old 90's Team Saracen Dirt Trax V-Brake Hardtail so it could be me not being used to Disc brakes or not having the right tyre pressures dialled in but I have seen a few mentions of people saying replace these tyres?

I'm also 17 stone so have a fair bit of momentum to slow down but the tyres seemed pretty good on the trail in the damp but I'm now a little apprehensive about getting back out on the road in the wet. The Team Saracen still has the original Ritchey SpeedMax Tyres (and Inner Tubes!) and I've never had an issue with these.

Do tyres need to wear in perhaps or are the XR3's not really intended as road/trail tyres?

Any advice from anyone is welcome as the Trek itself is as good as it looks with some decent level components for higher entry level bike and I am very pleased with it overall.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never had an issue with the tyres on the road wet or dry but when things get damp on the trail and especially over tree roots the rear tyre is prone to sliding out .My tyres have had enough miles on them especially on the road to knock off any 'newness'.It's also not the tyre pressure Iv'e run them at various reducing pressures and still slides out.I can't say whether or not it was your braking style that caused your 'oh **** moment' .
In the end I've settled for now with leaving the xr3 on the front but have changed the rear to the Vittoria Barzo TNT graphene foldable and I'm happy with it.
Only gripe I have with the bike is that they skimped on wheel set and the so called Bontrager hubs are actually Formula hubs and I don't like the pick up on them with them only having 3 pawls and are not upgradeable.They're getting replaced with DT Swiss EX 511 mounted on Hope Pro 4's.

· Registered
Trek X-Caliber 9 2021 Stock
2 Posts
Thanks that's helpful to know, I'd come off the muddy trail and the tyres had a fair bit of mud in the pattern so perhaps this along with my over eager braking caused the issue. I'll see how it goes. Found a few mentions of people putting the Barzo on the front and a Mezcal on the rear so will see how the next few rides go and make a decision from there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.