Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay- while announcing around the USA I want to bring a bike along. I was thinking the road bike since there would be more opportunity to ride, it's easier to ride on short notice (don't need to drvie to a trail, locate a trail and less cleaning-we are busy sometimes at shows!) but may just do my 26inch GT SS conversion. Can do all the road stuff with gearing changes and it's more durable.

But I also have my Rig and may want to take it sometimes too (like when we go to Burlington, VT this summer!) and was wondering which travel case would not fit a 29r.

I am bidding on a Thule 699. It has an outside dimension of 30.5 inches high which to me would mean defaltion of tires or complete removal to fit them in? Anyone with some experience on this?

I may get it anyway if it comes cheap and when 29 time comes around, just put everything but the wheels in the case and pick up a big cheap suitcase from craigslist and use that for the wheels. More expensive for sure- but the case(s) would spend more time onthe tour bus than in the air. Oh- and since it would be strapped to the back of a giant landing ramp/trailer and towed in the glorious elements- the soft casesor cardboard styles would not work well.

Also- may start annother post annd do some more searching- but I am looking for cheap alternatives to handing the airline $100 a flight to carry the thing when I do fly. Thanks in advance!-Cory

·
Registered
211 Posts
This may not help, but if you don't wind up going with the Thule, I have used my Crateworks Pro XL-C case with my Niner, both for travel on the airplane, as well as it meets UPS and other shipping dimension requirements (last time I traveled I took it on the plane on the way out, and shipped it home via UPS).

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I saw those and wondered about them. Held up okay I assume. This week I am driving my bike out to southern Calif. to do some shows and may build up an old SS to throw on the tour bus for when I fly out. Would save me a ton of cash too. Still need to get a crate though eventually. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Crateworks Pro XL-C has held up great. This is the plastic coated or whatever version, not their more cardboard vesion. The thing is pretty bomber, and I'm really glad I chose it over a traditional hard case. It's lighter, folds up completely flat when not in use, meets the UPS and other shipping requirements, etc., and it travels just as well as the hard cases. All that and it's going to save you probably $200 (or maybe you could say that'll save you 4 airplane flights with the bike :)

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
I've got the crateworks as well and will be doing the maiden voyage with it soon. It is the only case, besides cardboard or cloth, that gives you a fighting chance of coming in below the 50lb max baggage allowance of the airlines.

Yes, if it weighs more than 50 lbs you pay the "bicycle fee" and the "oversize fee", double whammy.

The XL-1 (corrugated plastic version) comes in around 21lbs, thules, tricos, and similars easily weigh-in in the upper 30's empty.

I think I've got it worked out so that I can use it to take two road bikes to Europe with me, helping dodge a second bike fee from the airlines. If it works out that I only pay one bicycle fee (and no oversize fees) each way the box will have already paid for itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts