Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to ask some actual owners of Transition their opinions on which bike might be better for my needs.

I am looking for one bike to fill both downhill and freeride roles, but I'm not really sure which one I would rather concentrate on, so I want whichever will be the most versatile overall. I race downhill at the collegiate level, and want to continue racing competitively. I also want a bike that will be a great all-day lift-access bike park bike, and that jumps as well as possible. Not that worried about that, as it seems all Transitions jump well. Lastly, this will be my only full suspension for a while, so I want one that can pedal to the top of some gnarly backcountry trails, Moab and Fruita style. I'm not going to be racing uphill, but I want to climb, not push.

So....

Dirtbag or Blindside?

The Dirtbag seems like a really good match, but the short wheelbase and steeper angles may make it a little mediocore for DH racing. Sounds great for an all-around freeride bike, but I want to know if anyone has tried racing a Dirtbag and if they would recommend it?

The Blindside sounds promising, but has anyone tried to build it up fairly light and used it for all-around freeride? I like the low BB for DH, but I don't know if it will be a sufficient climber...leaning toward the Blindside anyway.

So, (I know I hate these threads too....:rolleyes: ) which would suit my needs better. Like I said, I would like the input of owners...can the Dirtbag hand with DH runs, or can the Blindside make a decent climbing freeride bike? Thanks in advance....;)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Can't comment on the DB, but I can comment on the BS.

My climbs surprisingly well. It has no chain growth, which really bugged me about my last bike (Nomad). If it were built w/ like a 36T ring up front, and an 11-32 in the back, you would be pretty set. I run a 38T up front and a 12-26 in the rear, and on a lot of climbs I put it in the lowest and stand up and mash.

Overall, it's a great bike, the low BB makes it stick to the ground, which I like cause i'm more DH than FR.

Heven't really done any jumping on it, so I'll let other chime in on that.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Are you set on a Transition? I know they are a great company, but I think there are better choices out there for what you are looking for.

Turner Highline
Specy Demo 7
Moorewood Shova LT

If you are set on a Transition I am sure you will be happy with either bike. Obviously the BS will be a bit better for pure DH runs, and I would think the DB would climb quite a bit better. Have you checked out the videos on Transition's web site?

Good Luck.
TG

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G-AIR said:
Are you set on a Transition? I know they are a great company, but I think there are better choices out there for what you are looking for.

Turner Highline
Specy Demo 7
Moorewood Shova LT

If you are set on a Transition I am sure you will be happy with either bike. Obviously the BS will be a bit better for pure DH runs, and I would think the DB would climb quite a bit better. Have you checked out the videos on Transition's web site?

Good Luck.
TG
Price is an issue, so the Highline and Demo are out of the question. I am looking at some other bikes, however...

Short List:
-Corsair Maelstrom
-Giant Glory
-Cannondale Perp

I have looked at the vids, not all though...going to do that...:D

I'd love to support Transition, but more important is getting a bike that is right for me. Something the blurs the line between DH and FR, and can climb alright. Two years ago if I was asking for that, people would think I'm crazy! :p

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Short List:
-Corsair Maelstrom
-Giant Glory
-Cannondale Perp

I'd love to support Transition, but more important is getting a bike that is right for me. Something the blurs the line between DH and FR, and can climb alright. Two years ago if I was asking for that, people would think I'm crazy! :p
My two cents: go with the Dirtbag. I see a lot more guys going REALLY fast on FR bikes in DH races than I see riding comfortably on long, pedally rides aboard dedicated DH machines.

What is your timeframe? The Maelstrom is really sweet but won't be available for a while. All those other rigs are ready to go right now.

JMH

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JMH said:
My two cents: go with the Dirtbag. I see a lot more guys going REALLY fast on FR bikes in DH races than I see riding comfortably on long, pedally rides aboard dedicated DH machines.

What is your timeframe? The Maelstrom is really sweet but won't be available for a while. All those other rigs are ready to go right now.

JMH
Timeframe? I would like to be on a new rig by March, at the latest. I am to understand the Maelstrom will be out within the next two months....

Thanks for the advise, there, it certainly makes sense...has anyone experience racing on a Dirtbag?

·
More Riding Less Internet
510 Posts
I would rather have the BS. I'd rather have to push/have a harder time getting to the top, but be able to have a great machine under me for the race down!

Kyle,

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
If you don't want to push don't get a Blindside. I'd say that's the answer. Dirtbag/Chapparral/Stinky type bikes work well in Moab. Not so much here, but that's why I have a Preston.

Big faux-bars in thin air:

Attachments

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
JMH said:

JMH

Yep, really good point. I know alot of folks who pedal FR rigs around, I don't know who pedal DH bikes around. The DB seems pretty tough enough and folks i've talked to say it pedals decently.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some geo numbers on the Dirtbag (assuming a medium frame)

-BB Height: 14.35"
-Wheelbase: 44.7"
-HT Angle: 66.5*

And da Blindside:
-BBH: 14.2"
WB: 46"
HA: 65*

The wheelbase on the Dirtbag seems a tad short. That is really the only thing I'm hesitant about on that frame. High speed stuff mostly. I don't know though, I haven't enough time on a real DH rig (I have been racing an Orange Patriot) to know if I could even tell the difference.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
i raced my Dirtbag a few weeks ago.. it did really well for me. the wheelbase really wasn't that much of an issue. It's not like during a race i stopped and said: damn, i wish i had a longer wheelbase frame.

sure, everyone else and their mom were on M3's V10's DHR's and Demos.. but i still had fun racing my freeride bike, and will do it again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
blender said:
i raced my Dirtbag a few weeks ago.. it did really well for me. the wheelbase really wasn't that much of an issue. It's not like during a race i stopped and said: damn, i wish i had a longer wheelbase frame.

sure, everyone else and their mom were on M3's V10's DHR's and Demos.. but i still had fun racing my freeride bike, and will do it again.
:lol: That's very true. You're not going to notice it at all really. My DB did great
in the rock gardens and high speed stuff at Whiz. The DB can do everything well, you
wont be disappointed if you buy it.

G

·
If you want to pedal it at all go with the Dirtbag. I have owned 2 of them, a 05 and currently a 07. I was about to pull the trigger and sell my 07 and buy a Blindside until I really started thinking about what I wanted it to do. The BS is a pure DH bike, I know several people who have bought them, and they suck to pedal up. I need to pedal up...

The Dirtbag with a long fork like a 888 and a Roco TST rear shock makes for a great DH/FR bike. The longer fork extends the wheelbase a little and it feels stable. I have had mine up to 51mph at our local lift hill with no sketchy feeling. With the TST Roco rear shock, you can pedal the bike pretty easily. I have done 10 mile 3000 vertical foot climbs on mine. Its not as easy as on my Preston, but it is a lot more fun coming back down.:thumbsup:

·
Rides Uphill Slow
487 Posts
Just throwing my two cents but a Turner RFX might fit the bill for you. I own a RFX right now and it's my trail/shuttle/lift bike. I had a DH bike but sold it because I finally came to my senses that I had the "ONE" bike I needed. You can find 2006 in the same price range as a Dirtbag or Blindside. I'm not bagging on Transition because I've been lusting over a Blindside but that's a pipe dream because my tree that grew money never grew. :) If you want something that is brand new then I'd say get a Blindside, you can get the optional floating rear brake, which will help with brake jack. I suppose that is if you are worried about that. Oh yeah one other thing the only reason I got a Turner is because I got an '06 when they were closing out otherwise I was highly considering the Transitions. Good luck and can't wait to see what you end up with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts