Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a trainer for the nights I cant get to the gym for spin class, and when I cant get out during the day because of work. So what is the most popular trainer, kinetic, blackburn trac????

·
BLS439
529 Posts
If you haven't yet, search this there should be a ton of threads about this exact topic. I would also search it on Roadbikereview.com as I am sure there are plenty of threads over there too.

That being said, I absolutely love my 1up trainer. One bit of advise...make sure you have some type of media near where ever you are going to put your trainer. I don't know about you, but I get bored to death riding for more than a half hour staring at the wall and listening to music. But put on a cycling vid or even crappy cable and I can ride for hours.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know about most popular, but I like Tacx. They have some pricey electronically controlled ones, but also some less expensive ones.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Rollers take a lot of dedication but are the most realistic feeling to riding that you'll get. I agree, the cycleops fluid trainer is damn quiet and works really well but I prefer my magentic resistance as I can really get a super hard work out(not to say you can't achieve this through other trainers but put the magnet on its hardest setting and try pedaling that for a while. That's a workout!)

·
Ibexbiker
181 Posts
Lots of awesome trainers out there. I just bought a CycleOps fluid 2 trainer and am in love with it. It is very smooth. Although I assumed that it would be a little bit quieter than it actually is. If noise is a concern of yours then I would definetely try out the trainer before purchasing.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I have a Kinetic Pro trainer. It works well. If cost is an issue, the Road Machine (less flywheel weight) is 95% as good.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just got a cyclops fluid 2 a week ago after i tried a few lower end ones. In the beginning i didn't want to pay 300 for a trainer but im glad I did. Only problem is if i have even the smallest excuse not to go outside ill just use the trainer.

I usually try to have the TV and laptop with music or some other random video on, just to stimulate my mind for the hour.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've been riding on my trainer indoors for the past 3 weeks, i'm starting to get cabin fever! What do you guys all do when music and tv just aren't cutting it anymore, while your spinning of course?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So im leaning towards a expensive tacx so I dont get bored, or the kurt kinetic. Problem is the big cost difference, so time to weigh the options, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
iWiLRiDe said:
I've been riding on my trainer indoors for the past 3 weeks, i'm starting to get cabin fever! What do you guys all do when music and tv just aren't cutting it anymore, while your spinning of course?
I think no matter what you try, it will always be second to the real thing. I have found adding specific goals combined with the promise of detailed data logs to my workouts has motivated me to go longer than just getting on and waiting for the clock to hit 90 minutes.

Obviously, getting data from your rides usually means more investment (HR monitors, cadence sensors, relocated speed sensor to the rear wheel, or a PowerTap to really get down and dirty), but for me it seems to motivate me more.

Oh, and my wife asked me "how was your data" after my ride instead of "how was your day" last week; that was priceless!

·
Registered
454 Posts
KenDobson said:
So im leaning towards a expensive tacx so I dont get bored, or the kurt kinetic. Problem is the big cost difference, so time to weigh the options, thanks for the input.
Same reason I bought rollers this winter. Iknew I would get bored on a trainer. Check out Sportcrafters or Cycleops rollers. Great quality and price. There's a guy on ebay selling new Sportcrafters for a pretty good price and they come with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I bought the magnetic resistance unit and it's sweet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rock N Roll vs Trutrainer

Needed to resurrect, cant start new yet.

I know its been discussed ad nauseam but I'd like to present my particular circumstance .
I don't ride competitively. Don't go off road much. I am 51. I ride a 1997 Garry Fisher Paragon with street tires. I enjoy bicycling outdoors. In winter months I do 45 min a day 6 X a week on an elliptical type machine. Summer I sub in bicycling 2-3 times a week. Ride motorcycles on and off road.

I am looking to add indoor cycling to my exercise routine. Avid bicyclist friends of mine are trying to steer me away from rollers due to difficulty and danger. From what I've read here, it appears that most of you like rollers over trainers.

My question is; for one who likes (almost loves) cycling, is very familiar with gyroscopic force, and who likes hi quality items; which to choose, for use 2-3 times a week, to vary current aerobic routine?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts