Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to DC from Texas. Will be done visiting the Capital on the weekend. Looking for some fun technical trails to ride on the way back. I'm looking at the MORE website for info. Wondering if any will be open and ridable. Some good places on there, especially to ride with the wife on flat easy stuff and paved trails. Will be taking our time getting back to Texas trying to ride as much good stuff as possible on the way. Looking for suggestions. Flat, easy, scenic dirt for her. Fun, tech, challaging for me. Riding a Rip9. Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
The nice thing is the weather forecast this week looks awesome! We were hammered with a winter that seemed to never end. If the forecast holds, you shouldn't have any issues with any trails being closed or even questionable to ride.

I assume you're driving up. And do you have a planned route you're driving? It seems like southern VA would be your best bet for some of what you're looking for. Or you could drive further North of DC to catch some other trails, but not sure if that fits into your plan.

If you could give some more details of your itinerary, I'm sure someone could chime in with some good recommendations.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
If you want some fun, easy, scenic riding for you and the wife to enjoy, I would definitely recommend the Tow Path along the C&O Canal. Has the canal on one side of you and the Potomac River on the other. You can park and ride from any lock in MD down into DC for lunch and back.
You can always hit Fountainhead, Schaeffer, Patapsco, Gambrill/Frederick Watershed depending on your ability to get around or your itinerary.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a motor home. Probably going to do Skyline scenic drive, Blue Ridge pkwy then a trailway, Virginia Creeper, between Virgina and Tennessee. And finally end up in the Smokey Mtns. Will be spending about 5 days in this area. Any good trails around here I could hit? Maybe just for a short ride. An hour or two each day. Thanks for any help.

·
BICP Level 2 Certified
116 Posts
Looks like the VA guys need to speak up on this. You will be a little far away for me to recommend anything around where I am in Baltimore.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can't think of any closed trails around the Roanoke area.

There is a Virginia endurance series ride this Sunday the 13th. Its 42 miles 9000 ft of climbing. lots of ways to shorten the ride if needed. The ride crosses over the parkway several times around mile post 75. Non supported and free.

Virginia Endurance Series

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
traders,
I'm sure you are the guy I met on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. That endurance race would've been the perfect part of our trip. Sorry I missed it. I wasn't checking the forums much so missed your post. Didn't ride the trail, really didn't have time. That was good because it started to snow and was going to get down in the twenties and we barely got off the pkwy in time.
We are going to come back and I'll try to plan to hit the race, or any other race. Glad you stopped. It was good to meet you. Still can't believe we meet up on the pkwy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
About 5" of rain in the last couple days in the Mid-Atlantic area. Not sure if WC, FH, P-Tap etc. can recover from that or not. Maybe this weekend i will do some projects around the house instead???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts