Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Rockhopper that I use for 90% to-and-from school and work duty. As such I put some slicks on it to make the commute easier (Ritchey Tom Slick 1.4's). Recently I've had the hankering to take the bike to the local trails, so I got a used mavic x717/deore wheelset off ebay for cheap to have one wheelset for commuting and one for riding on the weekends maybe once or twice a month.

Question is, which tire would be better suited to which wheelset?

Reading deeper in the reviews (after I made my purchase) revealed a person or two who had problems with mavic rims run at high PSI. I run the Ritchey Tom Slicks at 85 PSI. Can anyone confirm if this is true? i.e., does this fact pretty much make my decision for me?

Oh yeah, stock wheels are Sun cr18 rims on stock specialized hubs. Tires that came off them (and will be going on the off-road wheels) are spec. adreneline 2.0. (but they seem pretty large for 2.0 tires?)

Thanks,

Mac

·
Registered
223 Posts
717's are well made rims so I don't know why anyone would have problems at higher pressures unless their rims were getting dished out from braking. That said I think the 717 wheelset is probably the nicer wheelset and I'd probably use that for offroad. I'm not familiar with those sun rims but I'm sure the 717's are going to be lighter and possibly stronger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.