Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new pair of Maxxis Crossmark 2.1" tires today, and I was really disappointed after measuring their width. They are 48mm (1.89") at 40 psi.

So which 2.1" cross country tires are real 2.1"?

·
Registered
185 Posts
One of the stipulations that Tomac put on Kenda was that the tires actually measure up to the claimed measurements. So I would think that any of Kenda's Legend series tires would measure correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for :)

The Rose, I agree with your Kenda comment. I had used a few different Kenda tires before, and they all measured correctly.

I just wanted to try something different this time, but ended up having low volume tires, which I was trying to avoid in the first place. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Gascon said:
I installed a new pair of Maxxis Crossmark 2.1" tires today, and I was really disappointed after measuring their width. They are 48mm (1.89") at 40 psi.

So which 2.1" cross country tires are real 2.1"?
There are no 'real 2.1" ' tires in my book.

Every tire is measured a little differently and every user expects something different.

Some companies use the maximum width of the tire whether it is the tread or the casing. Some give all models that use the same casing volume the "same" width. A few sort of average the tread and casing width. Then it changes with the rim width and pressure used. Plus there can be differences within models due to normal manufacturing variations.

All this is why I created my tire site with all the tires measured in a standardized manner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
casing size is 52mm , the widest width across the knobs might be 1mm more. I really like a 52mm casing. Like the grip and the cushion and it can still be a light enough tire for racing. I test rode a bike with the crossmark on and it looked like a 48mm casing but hard to tell. I want to give the crossmark a try but don't want it to feel skaty when going close to 40mph on downhills. My body takes longer to heal than it used too !!!!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
shredward said:
The Specialized Fast Trak is a true 2.1 with casing size right at 52mm. I have run both the S-Works and the Pro and both are similiar size. Both models were tubeless.
In a way you just proved my point: There is no tubeless Fast Trak 26x2.10. They are labeled 26x2.00 (there is also a 2.20 version).

You can find the actual measurements for various Spec tires on my site.

Also 52mm = 2.045"; 53mm = 2.087"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.