Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tires do you guys like for racing in the midwest? Specifically the WORS series. I can get the Maxxis Ignitor Exception, Kenda Karma, and Kenda Blue Groove Lite for pretty cheap. Any opinions on those? What tires do you reccommend?

Thanks and Happy New Years!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I race part time in the wors series and i have had good success with the Kenda Karma's, but now im currently running Schwable Racing Ralph's but I would say their both good choices for the area. Good luck this upcoming season!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
wors tires

i did the whole series last season with bontrager xr1 team issues if you look at marco and jessie lalondes bikes they use the same and win lots if races unless it is muddy you dont need big nobbies all they do is make you slower plus with the pair you save over 100 grams over the kendas which is a quarter pound in just tires

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd have to go with mmoen and MTB23 on their choices. I run both geared and SS 29ers and would have to say look for the tire that rolls fast. I have the Bonty ACX, XDX, The Crow, and Nano's. The best and fastest setup was the XDX up front 22 lbs and the Crow in the rear 24 lbs. I'll probably move to the XR1's for next year. The worst race last year for mud was Nine mile and I rode XDX front and rear with very little problems. I just pushed a bigger gear through the slimy sections and didn't spin like those with mud tires in small gears.

A few things I've learned is that Front and Rear have different requirements, consider the tire width, and by all means GO TUBELESS!!

Good luck next year.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I always like a larger volume tire.... they have better traction, more comfort, and lower rolling resistance. The XR1's are so narrow and the casing extremely fragile (for the team edition ones). I've used them and wasn't impressed. You can get tires that are just as light and perform a lot better.

My suggestions would be the racing ralphs and Rocket Rons. The 2.1" Ron's are bigger volume than the XR1, have a lot more front tire traction, still roll fast, and are stupid light. I personally use the 2.25" ones though. A 2.25" Ron is about the same size as a 2.1" Ralph. Ron in the front, Ralph in the back is a really nice combo for the WORS races.

You can't go wrong with the 2.0 Karma's though. Nice high volume and good tread pattern. They are a staple do everything tire. Run them tubeless with some stan's and smile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.