Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really digging the Pereira Steel 29er SS, so naturally I need another 29er but geared this time. I've already got 90% of the parts just sitting here!!! I'm thinking of gears mostly to start, but I think I'm going to add an EBB just in case I'd like to switch it over to SS. I also want a little lower standover so I can use a long ti post for cushioning. Here is a list of builders that I have put together:

Steve Potts
Kent Eriksen
Black Sheep
Moots (I know they don't do EBB, maybe strictly gears on this one...YBB?)

I'm mainly looking for a bike that I can be confortable on all day, not racing or jumping, just riding roads and trails. I've seen some of the bikes around by these builders, but does anyone have any comments they'd like to share about their expereince with any of these builders or the bike they received?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Seven cycles fool, They will build you a costom frame exactly how you want it, if you want a real low stand over with a long seat post they will do it (they will probably make you a long seat post to)

Or a jones, thoes are SICK.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
There are so many good ti choices out there, but I prefer the person that is making my frame also be the same person that is answering the phone. The only one on your list that I've dealt with personally is James Bleakley @ Black Sheep. Excellent customer service and final product (fork). Along with Mike DeSalvo (whom I've never dealt with, but have seen a handful of his excellent work), they'd be my top two if I was forced to ride a geared bike. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, Potts, Ericksen, James @ Blacksheep, Jeff Jones, Mark Nobilette, will all be the guys building your frame (and answering the phone). You'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with any of them, they're all at the top of their game. Especially Steve Potts. And especially Kent, and especially Mark, and espe... you get the idea. They're all custom. How custom? How custom do you want em to be? How much do you want to spend? :) I have a Jones, a Potts, and I sold my black sheep and am planning on a suprise Nobilette. The surprise will be mine. I'm just going to hand him several grand, get measured, go through the riding style stuff, and the things I like in my vintage mtb collection, and tell him to go nuts.

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,200 Posts
I'm looking at DeSalvo (who promptly returned my email stating that he's out of the shop till the 17th, but to call then) and Black Sheep. I'm really stuck on the Ti thing since I've got the Curtlo. Wish Rob was doing it at Badger since he's a friend and team mate. Eventually, I'd guess. Moots is way, way too short unless I end up with too little stand-over height and custom from them is outrageous!

Seven does nice work, but for some reason, that company has always bothered me. However, I'm diggin' the Ti handlebar that my wife bought me from them. Hmmmm.

·
2,856 Posts
cocheese said:
Kent Eriksen

I've seen some of the bikes around by these builders, but does anyone have any comments they'd like to share about their expereince with any of these builders or the bike they received?

Thanks for the help!
Kent. But I'm biased as you know :)

If you are going Ti each of the builders you mention will do a quality job. Are any of the builders located near you? If so, Then I'd choose one you can actually visit.

Kent spent a great deal of time talking to me and I visited twice. It was a pleasure dealing with him. Once I approved the build it only took a couple of weeks for the frame to be ready, of course as his new business grows the turnaround times will change.

You have seen the welds, here are some full bike shots. fyi - the steerer tube has been cut since I took the pictures yesterday.

Good luck and enjoy the custom build process -

Ed E

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well...

I love Ed's new ride...NICE!! :thumbsup:
But I am going to name my favorite three builders in order;
1) Black Sheep
2) Black Sheep
3) BLACK SHEEP!! :thumbsup:
All the listed builers are great (and as you can see I am stuck on one builder more than the others) so good luck and enjoy, can't see how you'd go wrong!! :thumbsup:

·
Mashers Only!!
578 Posts
I have a Seven and a new Moots. Both are Ti and custom fitted to my body and to my personal specs.
I'm not going to push any specific frame builder(Seven ,Moots ,Strong , Kent Ericksen) but I will push YOU to call them all and pick the one you like the best. Its important to know what you want before you talk to them. Be very specific on the things that are important (no spacers under stem, 3 cable guids on top tube at 5 o'clock, allow widest rear tire possible, fork not hitting down tube, ect.) to you and let them figure out the rest. They cost alot so do your reserch ask alot of questions and then build your dream bike!!

HUGH
:)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

1strongone1 said:
There are a handfull of great ti builders out there and everyone who posts a reply will be biased, based on what they ride or like. Look at as many frames/bikes as you can find and make lots of calls, you will know which one is right for you, if you put the time in.
Stop posting picks of this bike. :nono:

I can't afford one!

·
Registered
508 Posts
kent Eriksen

all those builders are fantastic and you couldn't go wrong at all. I sure do like the way the new KE's look, you know that Kent has quite a lot of time invested in building frames and the fact that he does it all himself again is very exciting. He's also a buddy of Steve Pott's who i would really recommend as well, such a pleasure to work with and same thing, he's been building frames for a long time, so things just get done right.

have fun with the decision.
nate

Attachments

·
This place needs an enema
16,919 Posts
Decisions, decisions...

cocheese said:
I am really digging the Pereira Steel 29er SS, so naturally I need another 29er but geared this time....

Steve Potts
Kent Eriksen
Black Sheep
Moots (I know they don't do EBB, maybe strictly gears on this one...YBB?)

I'm mainly looking for a bike that I can be confortable on all day, not racing or jumping, just riding roads and trails. I've seen some of the bikes around by these builders, but does anyone have any comments they'd like to share about their expereince with any of these builders or the bike they received?

Thanks for the help!
Life is good, eh? You can't go wrong choosing from that list. I'd give each a call and run down the list of questions you have for them. The results and 'feel' of the phone call will most likely determine whom you choose.

I don't have a Potts, mostly because one hardtail in the fleet is way more than enough, but I have frames built by each of the others. All of it is top-notch work, but with very different flavors. Just depends on your tastes, I guess.

The Mooto-X was drawn, cut, and mitered by Kent Eriksen when he was still a part of Moots. The Snoots was built exclusively by Brad Bingham, current production manager at Moots. And the Black Sheep was, of course, built by James Bleakley.

Mooto-X
Snoots
Black Sheep

You're in a pretty enviable position. Enjoy it.

MC

·
Registered
680 Posts
1 Speed said:
I'm looking at DeSalvo (who promptly returned my email stating that he's out of the shop till the 17th, but to call then) and Black Sheep. I'm really stuck on the Ti thing since I've got the Curtlo. Wish Rob was doing it at Badger since he's a friend and team mate. Eventually, I'd guess. Moots is way, way too short unless I end up with too little stand-over height and custom from them is outrageous!

Seven does nice work, but for some reason, that company has always bothered me. However, I'm diggin' the Ti handlebar that my wife bought me from them. Hmmmm.
I work for a seven dealer (so my opinion is some what bias BUT) from everything I have seen there product is very good. You are talking about all this diferent stuff you want on your frame and you can get it, not only that but it will fit you, they do a 2 hours phone intervie with you after your measurements are in and the person your talking to all they do it get the specs up for fitting the bike before its made, and not only that the owner of the company checks the specs on every frame and loks at the size of every rider and how they want it to ride (they even will use diferent stifness of tubing depending on how you want it to hande) and he O.K.s it before making it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Habanero

Can't miss an opportunity to shill for my favorite custom Ti Builder

Check out http://www.habcycles.com

Mark is a first rate guy and knows how to build a sweet ride, and he can do a complete custom job for much less than anybody else...... we have 4 of his frames and we've all be delighted with the service quality and price... now, if he would just build me a Tandem to get the wife off my back and behind me on the road.

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
I've owned a custom Seven (1999 Teres) and my experience was generally positive - but my vote would be one of the smaller builders that will treat you as though the business is important to them. Carl Strong was awesome to work with on my recent steel custom, and James at black sheep was also very cool on the custom fork and seatpost. I also spoke to Steve Potts and DeSalvo early in the process and they seemed like they would be really good to work with, as others have already mentioned.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn guys! Thanks for the outpouring of information and personal experience here. This place is great!

Good point Drevil & 1 Speed. I should look into DeSalvo as well. I'm in WA and he's in OR. Certainly not too far to drive and be measured. For my Pereira, I always wondered if I was measuring from/to the correct place.

DonJuan, I've never heard of Mark Nobilette. I'll look into it, but by the sounds of it, he may be too rich for my blood.

Ed, finally! A full shot! VERY nice! I like the use of the larger diameter tubing. Thanks for that. Now you cannot tease us anymore, except for the amazing ride shots you will gather while riding it! ;)

Hugh, thanks for the input. Yes, I do need to get my ideas together and decide EXACTLY what I want. No doubt a bike from any of these builders would be an incredible machine, but it is better to do the homework than to be left saying, "I wish I would have _____".

cursivearmy, super bike! Steve's bikes look like they are just begging to be ridden. Simple and understated. Thanks for the pic and the details.

mikesee, yeah life is good. I'm totally grateful to be in this position. I've spent much more money than this on other things that I know will not bring me near the enjoyment that this bike will. Life is too short as it is. I better "ti" one on while I can. (<---gratuitous ti-pun, sorry) Your Moots is really what started this whole geared Ti 29er thing for me. Thanks for the pics of the stable. As if I needed to drool more than I already have after edemtbs,
1strongone1, and cursivearmy's bikes! ;)

I guess some phone calls are in order. I kind of feel bad taking up some builder's time knowing that I may not end up ordering the frame from them. Make sense? Are they accustomed to spending time on the phone fielding this sort of thing? I'll probably distill the list down to a few guys that I will actually call. I don't want to be a time-sink as these guys are building another rider's pride and joy.

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the help you guys have provided here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.