Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trek 4300 with disc brakes and wish to mount a tail rack. Problem is, the frame holes near the axle are off set, the left one is higher and the rear caliper mounts there.
I mostly use my bike for trout fishing, so I was looking for somthing other than a post mount, as I carry my pole,stove,and fishing gear for the day.
Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had a similar problem when I added disc brakes to a non-disk frame with an adapter. I bolted the rack to the chain-side dropout as normal. On the disc-side, I cut a small piece of flat steel that connected the hole in the rack to my skewer (I have to remove the skewer to remove the rack). The rack also interfered with the caliper, so I made a spacer (for the rack) from a broken carbon fiber arrow shaft. I'm sure there is a better way of doing it, but it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wheelbender6 said:
I had a similar problem when I added disc brakes to a non-disk frame with an adapter. I bolted the rack to the chain-side dropout as normal. On the disc-side, I cut a small piece of flat steel that connected the hole in the rack to my skewer (I have to remove the skewer to remove the rack). The rack also interfered with the caliper, so I made a spacer (for the rack) from a broken carbon fiber arrow shaft. I'm sure there is a better way of doing it, but it works.
I think I get the the picture and never thought of that. The spacer you used just relocated the mounting hole to where it normally would have been, so it hangs down some...correct?
I have some 6061 aluminum here somewhere, perhaps I could make a "strut" that would suffice.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I put the spacer between the flat steel and the leg of the rack, to space the leg outward, away from the brake caliper. We would both be better off with a rack built for disc frames like the Axiom, but I enjoy doing a little sixpack engineering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cobba, I like the one with the offset frame mounts. I think it would be compatable with my rig.
I cut about a 12" piece of PVC piping. schedule 40, then put an end cap on one end. I then used stainless steel hose clamps to attach this to one of the tailracks upright support struts. I dilled mine out for water drainage and put some additional .50" throughout the tube for lightness, and painted it. I then can put my trout pole in it to carry down some of the gated off fireroads for natives. I put a sponge in the top of the tube to secur the pole and keep it from bobbling around.
Toll

1 - 7 of 7 Posts