Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
keen said:
My Trek's suspension uses 608 2RS bearings. Looked on ebay and they sell ones w/ chrome steel balls or Stainless steel - which to get ? Thanks.
Since suspension bearings do not actually rotate completely and deal with side loads...go with specific suspension bearings. Chromium bearings are actually harder than Stainless Steel and thus more durable. The Enduro Max bearings are ideal for this application.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtnbikej said:
Take one down to your local bearing supplier and buy them there, for a fraction of the cost.
For under $10 shipped I can get two bearings (I only need 2). I'd probably spend more on gas and travel time if the local bearing house could even beat that price.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Spend the extra few bucks and get stainless bearings. Some grades of steel bearings may be harder but bikes are subject to water. I have never had a bearing actually wear out from over use. It has always been rust. Check out McMaster-Carr for 440C stainless 608 2RS bearings part #6153K71. Good for 1 000 000 revolutions with a load of 740 pounds each! They will probably be the last bearings you buy for the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.