Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi!
i need advice to select right stan's rims/wheelset for my carbon rush.
i need it for trail riding and adventure/marathon/endurance racing so it have to be light but no too light becouse im quite heavy guy (now 198 lbs but during season a little bit lighter).

-i need front hub for lefty
-i ride schwalbe rocket ron/racing ralph 2.25 tubeless (now on mavic 819 rims with 24 holes and rear dt swiss hub)

any suggestion?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
ZTR Arch Wheelset
- Accessory Front Yellow Tape & Valve Installed (no charge)
- Accessory Rear Yellow Tape & Valve Installed (no charge)
- Front Pattern 3X
- Front Wheel Cannondale Lefty Hub 32 Hole
- Nipples Front Black Nipples
- Nipples Rear Black Nipples
- Rear Pattern 3X
- Rear Wheel DT Swiss 240s (6 bolt)
- Spoke Front 2.0/1.7 Black Double Butted (3X ONLY)
- Spoke Rear 2.0/1.7 Black Double Butted (3X ONLY)
- Rider Weight 176 - 200
- 1592 grams
- $785

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_44/products_id/355

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The 355 might also work if you are using it on less technical trails, and especially given you are protecting the rim with 2.25 rubber.
May I also suggest using a Nobby Nic 2.25 for the front (if you've not done so already). The times I've used a Ron on the front it wasn't as assured as a Nic, but didn't seem to have any speed benefits to compensate

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys.

on the first look, i would be quite satisfied with the first suggestion.
355 is not strong as arch but the weight is tempting.
however, our local trails are quite rocky and bumpy so maybe the stronger rim would be better.

until few months ago i had racing ralph on front, so rocket ron is definitely great upgrade. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would go with the flow rims, I weigh 185 lbs and had a set of Arch's built up to 240's with supercome spokes. I am not super impressed with them compared to the mavic crossmax sl's I had before. The rims seem soft and not near as stiff. Also I put the front wheel out of true on a g-out on a x.country / hiking trail. Once I wreck the wheels i will go to either a flow rim of a mavic

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I weigh a hefty 140lbs and I would go with the flows.

An extra 100g in the wheels isn't going to kill me and its worth it since I'll probably won't be replacing that wheelset anytime soon...or truing it for that matter.

I'm tempted to get a set of 355 just for races...if I raced.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
The Beater said:
I would go with the flow rims, I weigh 185 lbs and had a set of Arch's built up to 240's with supercome spokes. I am not super impressed with them compared to the mavic crossmax sl's I had before. The rims seem soft and not near as stiff. Also I put the front wheel out of true on a g-out on a x.country / hiking trail. Once I wreck the wheels i will go to either a flow rim of a mavic
Who built the wheels?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am also a hefty 140 LB rider and use 355's and ride 100 plus miles per week, this wheelset has not let me down, light and dependable and looking into the new CREST wheelset and Stans home brew hubs. I ride flowing singltrack and lots of elevation.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had the local bike shop I deal with build them up. The Mechanic has a lot of experience building wheels and everyone has had wheels built by him has been happy.

I would not be prepared to do any drops of more then a few feet on the Arch rims which to me is still x-country.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but i need an xc wheelset as light as possible but not too fragile becouse of my weight. my bike is not made for big drops...

of course, mavic crossmax st wheelset would be sweet, but here in croatia the price is something over 1200 us$ (1050 us$ if i order it from germany).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to tag-along here: seeking opinions on the arch/flow issue. My details: 170lb without gear, blur classic, upto aggressive xc/light am, never race but don't want extra weight if it won't add to performance, tyre range from mud x's at 2.0 in winter to rampages at 2.35 in summer; trails range from wooded and rooty singletrack to rocky ups and downs, plan to run them tubeless at circa 30psi. Because of hope hoops, flow is cheaper by gbp100 (gbp230, versus gbp430 for arches for the set). Would I regret getting the wider rims, i.e. burp outs and added weight, or would I love the squarer profile and never look back? (I realize of course, that I will love both, but which would I love just that little bit more?!)

Thanks,

Jerome

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.