Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, those of you who have converted to tubeless with the stock Anthem X 29er 1 wheels (Giant P-XC29 2) using a stans kit can you please recommend which kit would be the best fit. i have already purchased the '29er' kit but it says that it is only compatible with some 29er rims. then i noticed there is also the 'plus four' kit which is suggested to be compatible with most 29er rims. a bit deceiving if you ask me with the names, but will the '29er' kit fit the stock wheels or should i get the 'plus four' kit?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey,

I just set up my wheels from a x3. All I did was put the yellow tape (the wider of the two) and fluid. It was a bit of an expirement to see how it would work, and so far so good. I haven't done any hard cornering on it yet, so I can update you once I push the wheels a bit harder...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
You don't need stans.

Here's what I used.

- 1 inch wide Gorilla tape
- Stans valves for standard rims.
- Homebrew sealant or stans

For the front I did 2 layers of tape. For the rear only 1 layer. Using Ardent 2.2 for the front and Crossmark 2.1 for the rear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
You don't need stans.

Here's what I used.

- 1 inch wide Gorilla tape
- Stans valves for standard rims.
- Homebrew sealant or stans

For the front I did 2 layers of tape. For the rear only 1 layer. Using Ardent 2.2 for the front and Crossmark 2.1 for the rear.
So no rim strip at all? The stans kits come with what looks like 1/4 of a tube, but you don't need that? Just the tape?

·
Registered
278 Posts
kevinrj said:
Hey,

I just set up my wheels from a x3. All I did was put the yellow tape (the wider of the two) and fluid. It was a bit of an expirement to see how it would work, and so far so good. I haven't done any hard cornering on it yet, so I can update you once I push the wheels a bit harder...
Any updates kevinrj? I am looking to do the same with my x3 wheels. I think I might just get gorilla tape though.

Also, is this the valve to use?
http://www.notubes.com/Universal-35mm-Mountain-Valve-Stem-P558C16.aspx

·
Registered
278 Posts
gvs_nz said:
I always run slightly higher pressure when not using rim strips. I've had front tires burp on races which can get nasty.
I was thinking about cost savings, not worried about the weight part, maybe I will ghetto 26 tube strip on top of Gorilla tape for added security. Would that be beneficial or just a waste of an old tube?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought the Stan's flow rim strips which on Stan's site say they for the s-xc2 amongst a few other rims. Called stans and they said it would work with no tape. Using crossmarks that came on the bike (btw I have and anthem x1 29er) could not for the life of me get the tires to seat. Soapy water, with or without stock rim strip underneath Stan's strip with a floor pump or compressor. It seemed like the flow strip took up too much space for the tire bead and left no place for it to hook. I used a tire lever to try to tuck it in but still nothing. Oh had the valve core out too. Any suggestions other than ghetto tubeless? Should I use tape under or just tape and a valve?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
On my x29 1 - I used the FLOW rim strip - removed the stock green rim tape and did not replace with any other tape - I followed the Stans video online

Used soapy water and got both frt and rr to seat - done in 10 mins per wheel with handpump (cheapo pump - not even high volume) and have not had any issues - working great

running an Ardent 2.25 rr and Panaracer Rampage 2.35 frt

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the standard Stans 29er strips for the stock X1 wheels. Removed the green rim strip but could for the life of me not get the stock Crossmark 2.1 tires to seat. Bought an Ardent 2.4 EXO for front (great tire btw) and an Ikon 2.2 EXO for the rear. Both aired up using a floor pump and is perfect after more than a month of riding.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gorilla tape and old valve stem has worked for me on several different tires on S-XC rims
Rampage WTB and Shawlbe tires tubeless no problems. Crossmarks on the other hand were tough.

Easier to get rid of AIDS than get a Crossmark to mount ghetto tubeless.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have done the gorilla tape method on the giant 29er rims. It worked fine. My buddy did the stans strip and that worked fine.

I like using the bontrager rim strips personally. They are easy to put in, and they don't leave any stickiness in the rim. Make sure you get the symmetrical strips.

I also gave up on the stock crossmarks. They wouldn't inflate at all. I ran an Ardent/Ikon for most of the season. The ikon finally did disintegrate at the end of the season. The ardent is my favorite front tire.

·
Registered
215 Posts
In order for me to get a crossmark to hold air I did 2 layers of Stan's tape, the green rim strip and the Stan's flow rim strip. Left it on for a few days and it would lose 10-20lbs a day no sealant leakage anywhere. (after a good ride the pressure seemed to stop dropping) Bought a racing ralph 2.25 tlr and tried it on the back with 1 layer of Stan's tape and a flow rim strip and was almost able to get my pos floor pump to pump it up. Compressor did it no problem. Ran them both at 28lbs today on 2 rides and noticed a huge difference. Btw the racing Ralph was a lot tighter on the rim when mounting with a slightly stiffer/thicker sidewall. Eventually I'm going to switch the front to a RR. Not 1 drop of sealant came out of that tire either. With all that crap on the front rim I was a little sketchy about running it bc there was almost no room at all for the bead of the tire and since it's my first time doing this I was worried about the tire rolling off. Rode the bike hard and didn't have any problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.