Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found a pair of square taper Turbine cranks, but now I'm wondering what bracket size I need. I'll be running a triple in all likelihood, so I'm thinking 110 mm should do it. Any others still using these cranks?

·
Registered
319 Posts
depends ...

on what chainline you need and on which frame you are putting it on.

I'm using a 73, 113

You also should consider that there is 2 standards for square tapered BB. The ISO and the "Shimano" (J.. something). The taper is different. One mix, cranks/BB, will stick further out than another mix

Check out the RF website and also do a search on MTBR

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
On the 2 types of Square Taper...

Shimano is basically the standard. All the aftermarket square taper cranks (eg Race Face, Kooka, Cook Bros, Truvative, etc, etc...) and BB's for that matter use the same "Shimano" taper.

Campagnolo uses a different taper to their BB spindles. Campagnolo and certain Phil Wood BB's are the only ones available in this configuration.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all

Based on this I've decided to pop a 110 mm in there first, to try. 107 mm might be okay for the chainline (trying for 47-48 mm, frame should have the clearance), but oddly enough my knees don't like a narrow Q-factor.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
eric said:
Based on this I've decided to pop a 110 mm in there first, to try. 107 mm might be okay for the chainline (trying for 47-48 mm, frame should have the clearance), but oddly enough my knees don't like a narrow Q-factor.
I'm using a 73/113 BB that has an adjustable chainline (real)... shimano ones don't have the adjustable chainline feature (unless you use spacers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.