Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
i need to order a new spring for my vpx, i am running the standard 400lb one at the moment but i am getting to much sag, and have no more preload to play with.
i weigh around 185lbs, probably more like 190-195lbs with my gear.
the spring calculator on tf tuned shocks is coming up with figures in the region of 550lbs,
does that sound about right? is there anyone with an uzzi who is about the same weight as me, who could advise wether that seems ok?
thanks
Dan :)

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
I'm 195 w/o gear (ok, maybe 200 after the holidays), 450 lb spring needed a bit more preload and air pressure in the dhx-c than I wanted, a 500 lb. spring is on the way....

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
call Intense. they have a formula they use for each frame.

I weigh 190 lbs + gear. they calculated around 480 lb theoretical spring for the uzzi, and recommended i get the 450 spring and add preload. i don't have the bike yet so too soon to tell if it's keerect.

·
Registered
780 Posts
frorider said:
call Intense. they have a formula they use for each frame.

I weigh 190 lbs + gear. they calculated around 480 lb theoretical spring for the uzzi, and recommended i get the 450 spring and add preload. i don't have the bike yet so too soon to tell if it's keerect.
I'm 190+ gear and I'm using the 450lb spring on my Uzzi. I don't have to use very much preload at all. I think 550lb would be too much for that weight on that frame. You need to run a fair bit of sag to make the VPP work right. 35% or thereabouts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi guys, thanks for all the input, i have ordered a 450lb spring, looking in the user manual reveals that it is the recomended spring for my weight.
i think the reason the tf tuned calculator was coming up with such a high figure is that it calculates based on either 28 or 30% sag and as said above i need to be running a bit more than that.
hopefully this will get it riding properly! i will report back with the result
thanks again

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
dan_deelux said:
hi guys, thanks for all the input, i have ordered a 450lb spring, looking in the user manual reveals that it is the recomended spring for my weight.
i think the reason the tf tuned calculator was coming up with such a high figure is that it calculates based on either 28 or 30% sag and as said above i need to be running a bit more than that.
hopefully this will get it riding properly! i will report back with the result
thanks again
More details from my setup:

I was at 210 total weight
3 turns of preload w/ 450 lb spring
125 psi in the chamber, volume adjuster about mid point in range

Came out to %37.5 sag...

A 500 lb spring looks like it would work best. I don't want more preload or more pressure in the chamber.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got a 450lb spring sorted for the bargain price of £10! its a manitou spring but it seems to fit fine, i did read some reports of the slipping when used on the dhx, but i have an old swinger 3 way in the garage; i used the spring retainer (the one that sits by the rebound knob) from the swinger and fitted it to the dhx, no slippage whatsoever!
i have to say that the ride has been transformed now and the bike is living up to all my expectations!
here's an action pic to show the beast in use!

thanks for all the assistance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.