Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of XT hubs, and am going to get the DT 4.1d rims from my LBS. Now the question is, what type of spokes should I use???

I'm going to get a good wheelbuilder to build these wheels, so the skill will be there. Will DT Revolution 14/17s be strong enough for a 190 lb rider?? I'd like to have a light wheelset, but I'm not willing to have to true the wheel contantly for light weight...

THanks

Ming

·
sadly, like the element
400 Posts
Even at my 165lb mark I wouldn't trust revolutions to a disk build. If you have the money, CX-Rays/DT Aerolites will be lighter and build a better disk wheel than revolutions but I wouldn't be lacing high end spokes to a, while great performing, heavy hub. If you're on somewhat of a budget, DT Competition doublebutted 14/15 gage spokes would serve you fine and would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leadghost said:
Even at my 165lb mark I wouldn't trust revolutions to a disk build. If you have the money, CX-Rays/DT Aerolites will be lighter and build a better disk wheel than revolutions but I wouldn't be lacing high end spokes to a, while great performing, heavy hub. If you're on somewhat of a budget, DT Competition doublebutted 14/15 gage spokes would serve you fine and would be my recommendation.
Pieriks quoted me $50 CAD for spokes and nipples. Not quite sure what they have in mind. I kind decided to go with XT hubs because the center lock version is light enough for me (Front 180g Rear 369g QR: 61g), they roll great, are fairly durable, and mostly are very cheap compared to DTs and Kings. Money wise, I dont really want to spend much more than $50 for spokes. How much would the DT Aerolites cost me for two 32 hole wheels???

Thanks

Ming

PS..From the reviews, the Revolutions does sound a little sketchy for a disc wheel build, but the DT 4.1d can supposingly take a lot of tension. Would that help???

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
macming said:
I just bought a pair of XT hubs, and am going to get the DT 4.1d rims from my LBS. Now the question is, what type of spokes should I use???

I'm going to get a good wheelbuilder to build these wheels, so the skill will be there. Will DT Revolution 14/17s be strong enough for a 190 lb rider?? I'd like to have a light wheelset, but I'm not willing to have to true the wheel contantly for light weight...

THanks

Ming
I would go with DT Swiss Supercomp. This is a very good performer and will be fine with torque assocaited with discs. Do not go with Revolutions....or at least there is now I would and i weight 10lbs less than you. I doubt a wheelbuilder would recommend Revolutions for you, especially as I do not believe they are built to be used for use with discs.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
You're joking, right?

If you wanted a light wheelset, you started with the wrong hubs. XT are value hubs and therefore a bit on the hefty side if you're counting grams. I wouldn't spend anymore than Wheelsmith DB14 (50-60 cents each including choice of nipple at oddsandendos.com). If you are willing to spend more, I would would put it into the hubs (Hope or DT Onyx). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FoShizzle said:
I would go with DT Swiss Supercomp. This is a very good performer and will be fine with torque assocaited with discs. Do not go with Revolutions....or at least there is now I would and i weight 10lbs less than you. I doubt a wheelbuilder would recommend Revolutions for you, especially as I do not believe they are built to be used for use with discs.
Thanks for the recommendation...It's a shame the deal on the DT wheels fell through. THe seller said it would be $92 to ship it via Economy shipping which may take 4-6 weeks. I guess he just really didn't want to ship outside the US.....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Homebrew said:
If you wanted a light wheelset, you started with the wrong hubs. XT are value hubs and therefore a bit on the hefty side if you're counting grams. I wouldn't spend anymore than Wheelsmith DB14 (50-60 cents each including choice of nipple at oddsandendos.com). If you are willing to spend more, I would would put it into the hubs (Hope or DT Onyx). Just my 2 cents.
I really fail to see why Shamino hubs are so bad. Their freehub body and drive mechanism is supposingly more reliable than the 2 pawls system used in the DT Onyx. They are probably one of the most reliable hubs. Even though they have no bling factor, but comparing their weight to Kings...

Shamino XT: Front 180g Rear 369g
Chris King: Front 166g Rear 306g
---------------------------------------------------------------
14g + 57g = 71 grams

I'm not going to worry that much about 71 grams in the center of my wheel, and the XT just fall into the "Good Enough for ME" category.

I'm not going for the lightest wheelset because i have no desire for one, but I wanted a wheelset that is lighter than my current set up (Mavic 221 on LX @ 2040grams) because I'm switching over to disc brakes. Strength is also a big factor in my purchase decision. After searching around these boards, I decided XT hubs with the DT 4.1d rims are my best bet......

Ming

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.