Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone....

I am still a relative newbie at wheel building. I have built about 6 sets (12 wheels) so far that have held up pretty well. They were all using DT or Wheelsmith straight spokes (not butted). Now, I'm looking to shed a little weight and I've also heard that butted spokes can make a springier and stronger wheel, so I'd like to give them a try. However, I'm getting mixed responses about the use of butted spokes on a disc wheelset. I see that DT swiss says that you can use their Alpine III (very heavy) or Super Comps (2.0mm/1.7mm/1.8mm) for disc wheels. However, super comps are $1.50 a spoke (ouch!). I see that Wheelsmith has some double butted spokes for $0.49 that are double butted (2.0mm/1.7mm/2.0mm) but they don't say whether or not they are okay for disc applications. What do you guys think? I would really rather not pay for the supercomps if possible, but I will if it is necessary.

These wheels will be for my single speed and use a spot disc rear hub and shimano xt disc front and mavic f519 rims. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Gabe

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
The Wheelsmiths will work fine. You might find them to be a bit flexy for the rear wheel. I tried DT 1.8/1.6/1.8 (flexier than the WS) and did not like them. 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes may be a better choice.

I really like the Sapim CX-Rays but they are getting VERY expensive as the Euro gets stronger.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
The Alpine III are still lighter and stronger than straight 14G and meant for DH use. The SuperComps are the lighter XC version but also triple butted. From a performance perspective, the butted spokes are fine for disc wheels as long as long as you don't get too extreme with DT Revolutions or WS XL spokes. WS DB14s are very reasonably priced (oddsandendos.com has them for 50-60 cents with choice of nipples included).

From a building perspective, you get a bit more wind up than with straight so be sure to stress releive well. It also helps to turn the nipple past where you want and back off to the right spot to let it unwind.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Those Sapim CX-Rays are VERY expensive. I am not good enough at building wheels to justify them now. I HATE flexy stuff so I think I'll take a lookat the DT Comp 2.0/1.8/2.0 or the Alpine III spokes. Thanks again for your help!

Gabe

·
Registered
119 Posts
For what it`s worth

i didnt build the wheelset. i`m still working towards that goal. but i had a wheelset built with the alpine lll`s. hugri fr`s and mavic 729. suprisingly to myself and the mechanic who built them, the wheels(of course with no rubber on them) felt very light in the hand. no i didnt get a weight on these but when i get ready to change the tires, i`ll get the weight. for 36 spoked wheels they didnt feel like the tanks i thought they going to be..............G

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Homebrew said:
The Alpine III are still lighter and stronger than straight 14G and meant for DH use. The SuperComps are the lighter XC version but also triple butted. From a performance perspective, the butted spokes are fine for disc wheels as long as long as you don't get too extreme with DT Revolutions or WS XL spokes. WS DB14s are very reasonably priced (oddsandendos.com has them for 50-60 cents with choice of nipples included).

From a building perspective, you get a bit more wind up than with straight so be sure to stress releive well. It also helps to turn the nipple past where you want and back off to the right spot to let it unwind.

Were you stating not to use revolutions with a disc wheelset?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Asahi said:
Were you stating not to use revolutions with a disc wheelset?
Revolutions are not recommended for disc wheels. Not saying you can't do it though. The SuperComps are only 17g per wheel heavier than the 14G Revolutions but are going to be stiffer and stronger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts