Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded the old Hardrock for a 2007 Ibex Asta Pro FS rig but I ride worse now that I did with the Hardrock and I do not like the geometry of the Ibex. Thus, I'm getting a Specialized FS bike and would like to get opinions on the best fit for me:

What I'll be doing:
- XC riding, mainly in SE US which means no major elevation changes
- No jumps or serious technical riding

What I value most:
- Good suspension and components
- Something that will last for years
- Comfortable ride

Budget:
- up to $3500

Size (of me)
- 5'10" - 175 lbs

I've been looking at a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 and Expert 29.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lambdamaster said:
do you really need a FS 29er??
No. My riding buddy has one and tells me how much better it is than the 26. I am going to keep the Ibex 26 so there isn't much reason to have two 26ers around my garage. If this was a need based purchase, I could go back to the Hardrock.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
The stumpy fsr is freakin awesome. But from how you described your riding it may be a bit much........but then again having more bike/suspension than you need is always fun also, and like you said, this isnt a "need" based purchased for you, it sounds like you want a fun bike to ride! I really like the slack geo on the stumpy fsr. If you go for it, get the expert with the brain. I personally like the fork/front wheel setup on the 20mm on the stumpy comp better than the experts 15mm setup, but i think the brain is out-weigh's my axle preference.

Have you checked out the Epic Comp 29er? If you are looking for a full sus 29er, it sounds right up you alley.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jut8 said:
The stumpy fsr is freakin awesome. But from how you described your riding it may be a bit much........but then again having more bike/suspension than you need is always fun also, and like you said, this isnt a "need" based purchased for you, it sounds like you want a fun bike to ride! I really like the slack geo on the stumpy fsr. If you go for it, get the expert with the brain. I personally like the fork/front wheel setup on the 20mm on the stumpy comp better than the experts 15mm setup, but i think the brain is out-weigh's my axle preference.

Have you checked out the Epic Comp 29er? If you are looking for a full sus 29er, it sounds right up you alley.
Thanks for the throughts. I will look at the Epic as well. I was real pleased with my Hardrock that lasted 10 years and thousands of miles of abuse so I'd like to go back with Specialized again, plus buying from a local LBS that can fix it if it breaks.

One other caveat: This year I will be getting a second place in the Rocky mountains, so I will have quite a bit of elevation riding.

You are dead correct about the "need". I want something that will last 10+ years, something that i can grow into, and something I won't really have to upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.