Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided on a Sidi Dominator 5 MTB shoe in the MEGA width...my last pair of shoes (Specialized Pro MTB) made my toes numb (not a bike fit issue, because my older Nikes don't cause numbness on the same bike)...

I buy a size 11 in all my street/athletic shoes...and my last comfy pair of wide Nike cycling shoes...

I can't decide between the 45.5 and the 46 in the Sidi...Sidi's size chart puts an American 11 equal to a 45.5, but the 46 has a wee bit more width...

both are more than long enough, and i'm afraid the 46 might be a tad too long (not much longer than the 45.5...

but i'm afraid the 45.5 might be a tad tighter...

will the 45.5 stretch a little to perfection? will the 46 end up being floppy?

the LBS owner said to go with the 46, but also said the extra length might make it impossible to get the cleat back far enough...

at $200+, i'd like to get this one right the first time...thanks.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
In order of best way to determine proper shoe size

1. Try em on.
3. Use a sizing chart.
67. Ask strangers on the interweb.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did #1 and #2 yesterday and can't decide between the 45.5 and 46...looking for anyone with magic advice.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,691 Posts
Where did you find a place with mega sizes in stock?

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
livermore cyclery...i tried on a 45, 45.5, and 46 in the mega width.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
historeeteacher said:
did #1 and #2 yesterday and can't decide between the 45.5 and 46...looking for anyone with magic advice.
hmm, well then, to confuse you more, I wear an 11.5 in most shoes, and the 45.5 in a normal width Sidi.

Did you try them on with cycling socks (thinner than most cotton)

·
Registered
233 Posts
i've had dominators for about 8 years, and they havent really gotten loose or anything. even the pleather is still in great shape. i use them both for mountain and road, and the sole is still stiff as hell. they dont really loosen up because you just end up strapping them tighter anyway. you dont want too much extra toe space in these shoes.

·
Unstoppable
50 Posts
I have this friend ...

... that bought a pair of Sidi's from Ebay that were 1 size smaller than what he normally wears - I guess because the price was right. Any how, he said he got them soaking wet and wore them and they conformed to his foot.

I own/wear size 9/43 walking, running, cross training and mountain bike shoes (2 pair of Sidi). Hope this helps.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Sidi = 45
Shimano Road = 46
Shimano mtn = 45.5
Bontrager Mtn = 45.5
regular shoes = 10.5 - 12 depending on shoe
Good Luck.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
hey

Im breaking in a pair of spec shoes. Was the toe numbness from the lump in the shoe created by the cleat hardware thats embedded in the shoe? Did you use an insole ie: superfeet. ?

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we (the shop owner and myself) believe it was caused by the shoe being too narrow. we changed cleat position, made adjustments to the seatpost, and tried the green specialized footbeds...all with no success.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Sidi, the shoe last changes per whole size, and the half size increment is the same last but with a roomier toe box.

Also, your pedal spindle should be aligned with the ball of your foot, and SPD cleats are always centered over the spindle (Look-style triangular road cleats are hard to center, for example).

When trying on shoes, mark where the ball of your foot is, then look at the cleat mount plates to see how close they align.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You...

I appreciate the input. I'm 99.9% sure I'm gonna go with the 46. A lot of other research today. Hoping to hear from Sidi via email.

Anyone else with Sidi experience, feel free to let me know what you think...won't order for a few days.

·
Fat Tire Fatty
83 Posts
My $.02: I wear size 11 in pretty much every shoe I own and my Sidi Dominator 5's are size 45. They fit me perfectly even with two pairs of wool cycling socks in the winter.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I wear an 11 in athletic shoes and have always worn SIDI's in 45.5 (normal width). I sized them for normal riding weather. When it is cold out, I wear a thicker wool sock and the shoes are tight, but not uncomfortable. If it's really cold - booties. There's no way you'll be able to get the fit right for all conditions. Buy them for the conditions you ride most often. I also use two different insoles: a superfeet insole for normal riding when I am wearing thin bike socks and the original (worthless) insole for wool sock fitment.

Mine have stretched a little bit - the toe box has slightly stretched from when they were new and I do have to tighten them a few clicks more than when they were new (6 yrs ago).

·
Registered
609 Posts
historeeteacher said:
I appreciate the input. I'm 99.9% sure I'm gonna go with the 46. A lot of other research today. Hoping to hear from Sidi via email.

Anyone else with Sidi experience, feel free to let me know what you think...won't order for a few days.
Specialized - 44.0
SIDI Mega - 44.5
SIDI Reg - 45.0
Regular shoes 10.5

If you like to do rides littered with hike-a-bike I would avoid the SIDI's altogether, they just aren't made for it, otherwise they are the best MTB shoes out there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
fourarm said:
If you like to do rides littered with hike-a-bike I would avoid the SIDI's altogether, they just aren't made for it, otherwise they are the best MTB shoes out there.
Just don't get off walk :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts