Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im torn which size to get my new bike. I ride a 17.5 now. Went to get fit for new one:madman: and my measurments I could go either way. Should I go bigger or smaller. I ride mostly all mountain, some dh and xc.:madman:

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Hard to say, what stem lengths have you been running? When you say "get fit" for a new one, are you "getting fitted" which involves more measuring of not just the bike but of your body?

My two bikes are nearly identically set up. One is a 17.5 and the other is a 19. Obviously the 19 has a shorter stem than the 17.5 to make up the difference for the top tube. Without getting into the more major differences of one being Al and the other being Fe+ they handle darn near the same.

YMMV though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did get fitted on one of those towers were they measure you inseam shoulder hight and alll the other stuff. So the bike guy pulled up all the numbers the type of bike it is and said I could go either way. I use a 105 mm stem.Does it matter what type of riding you do? I had a 19 bike befor and hated it I didnt feel like I had as much control as I do w/17.5.

·
Registered
394 Posts
eddiek, I think you answered your own question when you said that you had a 19" bike before and hated it. I too am right at the spot in the scale that I can go either way and I too had a 19" bike that I liked until I replaced it with a 17.5" and then realized that I was on the wrong bike before. The medium was much more responsive and my riding improved in leaps and bounds, and subsequently so did my enjoyment level. Go for the 17.5".

·
Registered
456 Posts
Fit

Height?
Inside leg dimension? ( not you pants size but actual measurement )
How flexible are you? ( Been doing yoga 5 years vs nuthin')
Type of riding you do. (Freeride versus, XC racing)
FS or hardtail?
Arm length?

No one should make a recommendation unless you list some basics.

In general a bike that is too small will be twitchy and you'll get bounced around in tight technical spots. It will also be tougher to balance in general.) People know how the last bike they owned felt underneath them and that is their primary point of reference - they seek similar feeling bikes because that is what their body knows ( muscle memory, handling predictability, etc.)
A bike that is too big will hit you in the crotch when standing over the top tube and will feel like you are reaching way too far
A bike that fits right will be stable in technical stuff under power, feel balanced, and covert your pedaling energy much more efficiently.
Go to your LBS and ride both sizes. Then go back and ride them again in a few days. Then go back a third time and ride them again - hopefully on trails you know (NOT A PARKING LOT!) I bet you'll find the one you want.
The best money you will ever spend is the extra $150-250 to get a professional bike fit done. They'll adjust stem length, seat height, position relative to pedals, grip, shoulder width, etc.. WHEN YOU BUY THE BIKE, NEGOTIATE THE COST OF THE FIT AS PART OF THE DEAL. Here is some info : http://www.mountain-bike-world.com/mountain-bike-fitting.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help. You all have very helpfull. I went with the 17.5 frame. Tailwinds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.